Fish Forums banner

My favorite local fish store

27K views 64 replies 54 participants last post by  TheOldSalt 
#1 ·
Here is a thread where we can review & discuss our favorite local fish stores. Not every store is a petsmart or petco or petland or walmart, after all, and it would be nice to hear about the independents who are still chugging along.
Do you have a local store that you like? If so, then tell us about it! What does it have? How good is it? Where is it? What makes it worth checking out by someone who might read about it here on FF?

This could be fun.

#60 ·
The chains put the best home owned fish store out of business. Poor guy moved to a better location. 6 months later a damned Pet Smart opened next door to him.

We have just one locally owned place in town now. It's a pet store with birds, reptiles and fish. They stayed put in their cramped location where they have always been. They were there when I got in to fish back in 2001 and they're still there now. They work hard and they make a living.

They know me. They like me. They helped me big time when I had to make an emergency move. They kept my Discus for me until I could get set up tanks. They sold the ones I told them that they could sell and gave me money when the fish sold. To this day they buy Angels from me. They pay me in cash. They always give me a discount when I buy something from them. When I was overrun by multitudes of Angel fry they gave me the name of the wholesaler.

Pet Smart and PetCo would never do that for me. Neither will they buy from me. I refuse to business with them. I have never set foot in either one.

Even when one of them was having a $1 per gallon sale I bought 2 29's from my place. They just cost $10. more each. Spending $20. less ain't worth betraying the kindness these folks have shown me.

The name of the place is Pet Place. It's located in Hattiesburg, MS.

#62 · (Edited)
Do all Walmart stores sell fish? And do they sell the whole range of products including tanks and other accessories? I've always found it easier to get fish from a pet store but I recently moved to Oklahoma and I haven't got an ideal pet store yet.

#63 ·
not all walmarts sell fish and/or fish supplies..and usually those that do are not very good at providing healthy fish or employees that actually know anything about fish..try to find a local fish club..become an active member..they will gladly tell you about all of the best and worst shops to visit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.