Fish Forums banner

55 gal.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  C. King 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm getting a 55 gal tank later today. I have an oscar that I will put into it. I'm wondering if I can also add SA chichlids as well as an angel or 2? Or would there be conflict involved? I really like several different dwarf chiclids.

Also is there any type of algae eater that can live with these fish? all 3 or any one or two of them? I try to stay away from plecos cause they crap more than they eat. But I dont like all the algae on the tank! Clean it weekly and it still builds up quickly(maybe I should turn the light of sometime).

Also where's the best place to buy chichlids? I went to a LFS and it has the big ones in their own tanks. Oscars, Angels, and JDs. But then the rest are in an assorted cichlids ank. I want dwarfs but "assorted" doesnt really help...

#3 ·
What about mixing sa cichlids and angels can I do that?

#4 ·
angels are S.A. Cichlids......you can mix with dwarfs but i wouldn't bother with most of the rest..

#5 ·
Is there any type of algae eaters that can go with them? Cause no algae is a good thing lol.

#8 ·
Angels are cichlids, but because of their long fins and relative slowness, I would not mix them with other cichlids. Maybe some of the dwarfs would be okay, but it's a chance. The best bet for algae eaters is, of course, a plec, which you said you don't wantbecause they are messy.( However, no more so than oscars!) Maybe, if you go with dwarf cichlids, a smaller pleco like the bristlenose would be less messy? I love oscars for their personality and charm, but they do usually end up the only fish on the tank, because they're just plain predators through &through. It's part of their charm, little devils!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.