Fish Forums banner

Pump seems too powerful?

938 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  fish_doc 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 50G tank and had noticed the pump was quite powerful, but today I added some of my young guppys as they are now big enough to be put with the adults. But I was watching them and it seems like all of the fish (including the adults) are fighting against the current from the pump, is this normal or should I get a new pump?

#2 ·
Can the pump be adjusted so there are some calmer spots in the tank? They might just enjoy being in the current.

#6 ·
It should be fine. Just a couple of things to watch for.
If you did this over the intake pipe - just be sure enough water is still going up to the pump. If enough water is not going to the pump you might actually have over-heating issues later.
If you did this on the output side of the pump there should be no issues other than making sure the holes don't plug, otherwise depending on the setup, the reservoir will overflow because it cannot release the water as fast as it is entering. But if the holes are large enough to handle the total volume of water this shouldn't be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.