Fish Forums banner

Can a filter be too big?

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  wooferkitty 
#1 ·
I have a 56 gallon column tank and i bought an Aqueon QuietFlow power filter. Is there such a thing as too much filter for a tank? This filter is for up to 90 gallons. Should i get a smaller one? Also this is in my room and is very loud. Is there a way to make it a little more quiet?

#11 ·
no such thing as to much filtration more is always better however Raynovox is right to much current can be a prob with smaller weaker fish that prefer minimal water movement. As for the quiet flow I have used them for 2 years now with excellent success although the replacement filters a spendy. Also note that the GPH on the quiet flow is close to what canisters will put out so it is indeed a better filter. As for your noise I have no idea mine have always been quiet a real racket when turning on but thats cause it's self priming but once it is filled with water real quiet. anyways good luck

#17 ·
I think this is a HOB where the powerhead is in the tank. You should take it apart and make sure the impeller is clear (not wrapped in moss or a piece of shipping cardboard). Also fill the tank to 1 finger's width below the rim. Make sure the blue plastic bumpy thing is in the waterfall the right direction.

#18 ·
I am at a loss then you may have bought a bad one. with any HOB filter there will be some splashing noise but it should be relatively quiet if you want perfect silence you will have to check out a canister filter or go all out with a wet/dry. Personally if you can take it back I would do so try a new one or try a whole new brand whatever your choice sounds lie you have a bad filter if it is making lots of noise. Also I had to put a book on top of an old HOB a long time ago to keep the top of the filter from rattling so bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.