Fish Forums banner

6 weeks, no nitrites.

840 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  weedkiller 
#1 ·
I have been cycling my 12g eclipse system for 6 weeks now, still with no nitrites. I currently have 4 zebra danios and an apple snail in the tank. I do weekly 30-40% water changes and use prime dechlorinator.

Ph level: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25 - 0.50 ppm usually
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 0 ppm

I am unsure of what else to do since it's been such a long amount of time. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
you dont change the water while cycling,
just add ammonia and keep to about 4ppm, in no time you should see nitrite spikes, wait for that to zero then do your water change to reduce nitrates....

#4 ·
WK, this is a fish cycle. No adding ammonia and you have to change water for the fish to live.

check pH. add a pinch of baking soda if its especially low <= 6

feed more.

seed

Do you have plants? Some plants will eat it up.

But little tanks are a PITA to cycle.

#5 ·
My PH stays pretty high above 7.4. I have all silk plants, with the exception of one small bunch of anacharis which I leave floating. I thought it'd be good for oxygen and what not. The anacharis seems to be doing okay. I feed the fish once sometimes twice a day. Small amounts though. I hear it's better to do multiple small meals rather than one large one.

#6 ·
lol my bad, should have read his post properly, firm believer in fishless cycle and kinda presume most go for the method
my single braincell didnt register the fish an snail doh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.