Fish Forums banner

Colour Bettas

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MauimoBetta 
#1 ·
I've talk to a lot of people who use have a red bettas and myself had one too. They all told me that there red betta died in a few weeks. My red betta died in one month and my friend's red betta died in two months. I'm just wonder why most red bettas died?

G
#3 ·
It is the care that they are given. Plus if you bought at the pet store, you could have bought a sick fish without realizing it as fish can harbor illness until stress sets in and BAM they get sick and often die. I had my doubletail betta for a year or two before he died. So it is the care that you give the betta and if you are on top of diseases at the earliest possible moment, that tells whether or not a betta or any fish survives.

G
#5 ·
Yes but that doesn't have anything to do with why he died. I didn't do my water changes like I was supposed to and ammonia built up too high for him to handle. I did feed him every day and fast him once a week though. I should have taken better care of him.

Bettas live about 3 years, 5 or more if they are taken care of really well.

Point is a betta's color has nothing to do with why a betta dies. It has to do with the care the betta is being given. Sometimes you can do everything right and the betta stills dies young, it could be because of disease or the way they are being cared for.

#6 ·
I won't disagree about anything said here, it almost always comes down to how well you take care of the betta.

That having been said. I currently have two bettas... a veiltail and a halfmoon. I keep a 2.5 gallon tank and a 6gallon fluval. Both tanks are properly heated, filtered and water changes are done on a regular basis. Despite all of this, the halfmoon almost ALWAYS has some kind of issue with his fins where as the veiltail is perfectly fine.
I have gone so far as to switch tanks (thinking something in the fluval was causing the issue) and after two months the veiltail is still healthy and happy and the halfmoon still has fin isses.

Some bettas are just more difficult to take care of.

G
#8 ·
I agree that some bettas are harder to take care of than others. When my halfmoon was alive, he was only sick once, and that was with ich.

Have you tested your water, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Although pH won't be an issue, but the other three are. If they are out of balance then that could be why your halfmoon betta is getting sick.

#7 ·
Halfmoons are harder to care for than other bettas. Plakats are the easiest and most hardy. Veiltails are a close second.

#9 ·
Color shouldn't matter but it is possible that all the red bettas in an area came from the same breeder. In that case they could be carrying the same illness, the same genetic defect, or be a strain that is susceptible to a certain illness, that happens to kill them all when it goes around. Or it could be something more subtle like a bad batch of "for red betta" food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.