Fish Forums banner

Once a fishtank enthusiast, always a fishtank enthusiast...

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  C. King 
#1 ·
Hi! I have had fishtanks since about 1980, worked at a nice fish store when I was younger, ao I'm not a total newbie. However, I have not had a tank in about 10 years, because I moved across the country and had to give away my beloved breeder pair of angels which broke my heart. Just lost interest after that. Six months ago,I decided to dig out my old (ancient!) 20 gal. tank and give it a go once more. This tank is probably a collectors item by now--glass sides, slate bottom, shiney stainless steel edges and hood! But still looks like new,and still holds water! They just dont make 'em like that, anymore, huh? Of course, the silly light in the hood was completely inadequate, especially since I decided to go for a planted tank, which is a new thing for me. Seems that a planted tank is a whole new kind of beastie, with special requirements for light, bottom material, etc., but I love a challenge. So, I now have a lovely little set up, two angels who are gowing fast & looking like a pair, and some cardinal tetras and cherry barbs. I am so happy to have a tank again--forgot how fun they can be! And, boy, have things changed in the past 10 yrs or so! Which means I will be asking a few questions on this forum, No doubt. It's nice to have a forum to meet some fellow fish enthusiasts--didn't have that 10 yrs. ago, either! (I posted a question about a unidentified pleco on the catfish forum, if you have some pleco expertise your input will be greatly appreciated.)

#2 ·
welcome, same as you bud... was 20 years for me and recently got my daughter a tank then a week later got myself a 190L lol, like riding a bike, it all comes back to you slowly lol

#6 · (Edited)
Endlerguppy, it does grow into an obsession, doesn't it? :) I saw someone on this site whose name was "fishhoarder", and had to laugh. My little 20 gal. really limits me, but due to space issues, I'll have to make do. I notice you have 2 swords &a molly with your angels & gouramis; they get along OK? My nieghbors little girl begged me to get an orange fancy tailed guppy, which I caved and bought in a moment of weakness, but as my angels grow bigger, I worry about guppy becoming lunch. oops! PS. How do I list the tank size & fish I have in blue letters at the bottom of posts, like you have?

#7 ·
bullseyejoey, nice birthday present. I kinda started early, too, since my dad had about a dozen fishtanks in our family room in the '70's. It was my favorite room in the house. I loved that the sound of aerators filled the room, and each tank had its own fish variety- angels, live-bearers, etc. Dad always had to get the latest fish on market. He was sooo proud of the peacock eel (who sadly chocked to death on an earthworm just a week later--I thought my dad would have a stroke! I'm suprised he didn't attempt CPR.) So, fish have always been a part of my life. I would much rather watch a fishtank than a TV.

#9 ·
Good job, bullseyejoey! There are a lot of adults who would like to have your set-up! Can you tell me how to list my fish at the bottom of my posts, like you have?

#10 ·
Welcome to FF :)

#11 ·
i started out with a 10 gallon tank....now i have several of them.....
it is a disease....MTS....Multiple Tank Syndrome.....lol
welcome to fish forums...

#15 ·
Thanx for the warm welcome, everyone! Its nice to find out I'm not alone in my fish addiction! :)

#17 ·
Metaframe, you say? good to know. I must admit it looks darn cool, in a retro kinda way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.