Fish Forums banner

After all this time, still no cycle

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  weedkiller 
#1 ·
strange, ive been at the hospital for at least a month, my 20 gallon long has barely had a decent water change, maybe a 40% once a week with the exception of 2 weeks in which it didnt get a change at all. I figured it had to have cycled by now! But nope, still nada...I have a crazy # of misc snails plus 6 nerites creating extra waste along with 3 bloodfin tetras who ive been over feeding nearly twice a day...guess the hornwort is really doing its job! I wanted to add some tank mates by now :/ ...think its safe to add 3 of a second school of a hardy fish?

#6 ·
hey, FFishes, I can't imagine that you have had that kind of bioload for a month, and no nitrogen cycle. Nearly impossible, really. I would add a few more fish, then test again in 24 hrs. Is your test kit old, or out of date? is it strips,(can go bad easily) or is it the kind with test tubes & you add x amount of drops? (more accurate)

#7 · (Edited)
Its the liquid API test kit (drops and tubes), its about 4-5 months old...I know thats what I was thinking! even my betta 10 gal with 1 snail has higher ammonia than my 20 gal, I cant see how 3 fish and a crazy amount of snails wouldnt cycle! My hornwort during that time did grow amazingly big and fast, its my only reasonable explanation. Im going to see about picking a couple more bloodfins up today.

#8 ·
I have never had a problem with the liquid API test kit. I wouldn't worry about the lack of ammonia, I have zero often. And hornwart would help remove alot of waste,esp. if it has been growing quickly. ( with a good filter, ammochips,plants, and regular water changes zero ammonia is reasonable) Zero nitrites is good, too-what you want to see in a tank that has active bacteria. Mine is usually zero. However, I would expect at least some nitrates, anywhere between 10-40, because that's what the nitrites turn into, right? I guess we'll just have to see what happens when you add the bloodfins. Let us know what your readings are, after 24 hrs.!

#9 ·
if you have a very good bio system your ammonia will be 0, same with nitrites, usually you should have a trace or more of nitrates, try over feeding for a couple of days and se if you can create a spike of nitrate, i dont know if there is another way of adding ammonia safely for the fish to produce a spike.
maybe rehouse your plants that eat ammonia until you can be sure your bacteria is getting enough to survive

#12 ·
well a fully cycled tank with everything a 0 has got to be a mission and if thats the case then whos to complain :)
im jealous already... want any nitrates? i got loads to spare lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.