Fish Forums banner

55 gallon tank and power outage

834 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  Blue Moon 
G
#1 ·
Well my power is flickering on and off tonight, so I covered my 55 gallon tank just in case the power goes out. I will have a battery operated air pump handy so that I can put it in if the power does go out, that way they will have oxygen for a few days at least. I am considering putting some waterbottles filled with hot water into the tank if the power goes out, what do you all think? The waterbottles are not very big, they are 16.9 fluid oz and they are plastic.

#2 ·
watch the tank temp...when it goes below 78 fill the bottles with hot water and float them...i say 78 only because of the clowns..
good luck and i hope you don't have to do this..

G
#3 ·
I hope that I don't have to either. They have been through a power outage before and been fine, but I do worry every time a power outage may happen. I will watch the temp, I will know when they are a bit cold, because they will be acting stressed from the cold water if the temp drops.

Right now I have my sleeping bag covering the tank to hold the heat in and if the power goes out overnight, the temp should stay warm, then I will be able to get some warm/hot water into the tank.

Also would it be advised to do water changes throughout the day? Or would that stress the clown loaches too much. I was thinking that putting in hot water, just not too hot where they can't handle it, into the tank each time the water temp goes below what they are used to. But I really don't want to add more stress to them if I don't have to.

#4 ·
if the power is out for more than 4 or 5 hours i would do a water change as soon as it comes back on...test your water fist...if your bacteria goes bad you will have to clean out the filter so you will get a mini cycle started....

G
#5 ·
Ok that makes sense. Thank you lohachata. So far so good, the power has not gone out but I still have the fish tank covered with my sleeping bag just in case. I will keep you updated on things going on with my fish tank and if there is any power outage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.