Fish Forums banner

Help! My pleco has an open sore!

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  lohachata 
#1 ·
My Common Sailfin Plecostomus has in open sore!
He is in a 60 Gallon aquarium, and the heater is covered.
He is 11 inches long.
It is getting worse, and I don't know if I should quarantine him.
My stats seem to be just fine.
Ph 7.2
Nitrate is 5
Hardness is 74
Ammonia is .2
Can anyone help me explain this, and how to treat the sore?
Note i do have a 20 Gallon Quarantine tank as well.
Thank you!

Attachments

See less See more
G
#4 ·
I would quarantine him just to be on the safe side. Also keep the water pristine clean. I am not home right now but there is a med that will take care of that wound. When I get home then I will take a look and let you know. Get your ammonia down and that will help with the wound healing. Are there any other fish in the tank with him? If so, what fish are in with him?

#5 ·
there is a product specifically for open wounds such as this...i believe it is called tricaine..

G
#7 ·
A fish with an open wound can actually be treated. Baby Girl, my biggest clown loach, had a wound above her eye and it healed on its own, as I kept the water clean. I also kept an eye on her just in case the wound got worse, but it just healed by keeping the water clean.

At this moment, the pleco with the open wound would need to be treated with an anti-bacterial medicine, not be euthanized unless the medicine doesn't work.

#8 ·
sorry angel...i forgot which med i was talking about...the one i meant was ....

" Tricide-Neo " which is an antibiotic...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.