Fish Forums banner

Is this a diatom bloom?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  amagad 
#1 ·
This brown algae is increasing by the numbers. About a week or two ago, I've completed my cycle. I had some plants, and java moss but took it out to help alleviate what was the start of this bloom of some sort. Just want to know when this stuff will go away? It's actually making the water smell. I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite and just did a 50% water change

See less See more
#3 ·
aww look at them likkle fishes all trying to hide behind each other... huddled in the corner with nowhere to go :D
get some bottom feeder algae eater, they will get real fat

#4 ·
The diatomes won't hang around long enough to worry about getting a bottom feeder to deal with it. They should be gone within 3 months of the tank cycling, often times much sooner. In my 10 they lasted about a month, in my 20 about a month and a half post cycle. If you are worried in the meantime just wipe off the glass and turn the gravel every so often.

#5 ·
Thanks all for your input. At this time, I removed all the pool gravel partly to remove the potential for unlimited silicate source and also to grow the discus until they mature to a bigger tank.

Question, looks like the diatoms are maybe turning into green algae? I suppose this is yet another phase?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.