Fish Forums banner

Bullhead Spawn

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Scuba Kid 
#1 ·
I noticed thursday that one of my bullheads was in a pot i have in my 55. It was strange because they are usually waiting to be feed in the morning but on thursday she would not leave the pot. I read on varous web pages that they make a saucer type of thing in the gravel, and this morning i saw that there were eggs in the pot and the other bullhead was fertilizing them.

Sorry if that story was long but i have a few questions.

How common is it for bullheads to eat their eggs?

Should i remove the parents?

How may tipicly survive to adulthood?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks Specs:

55 gal

80 F - water temp

2 bullheads - the parents

3 mystery snails

Don't know ph or nitrates because my test strips ran out and i havent bothered getting more.

here are pics too.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm.. that's funny. I KNOW I answered this already, so where did my post go?

Anyway, no, it's not common for the parents to eat the eggs, and in fact they make pretty good parents. However, if you want to maximise production & minimize risk, then remove the parents.

The fry are ravenous, and will grow six inches in their first year. The survival rate is high if you take good care of them.

#8 ·
thanks everyone and i will try my best. Hopefully they will hatch and everything goes well. By the way mine are about 9 to 10 inces. Not to big. I just love everthing about these fish and i have had them since they were fry so i have gotten attached to them, even if they are ugly.

#14 ·
Sorry i could not reply for a while. I was On Vacation. I Finally got good pics of the fry and the mom.(Had to wake up at 11:30 pm since they are nocturnal, But it's ok) The mom is a great mom too. Hope you like the photos.

Attachments

#16 ·
Awesome photos!

Hate to be the one who brings this up, but someone will... Do you have plans for a larger tank as a 55 is is already too small for 2 9"-10" bullheads. Ok there it is, it has been said!

#18 ·
omg! I love bullheads! I had one that started to pack on the fat but sadly got some sort of bacterial infection in it's skin, needless to say the skin just turned yellow and peeled off....

During the spring after they spawn I usually go down to the local marsh and catch some little buggers. Prolly one of my favorite fish I catch here and usually always have at least one....never heard of them being bred in an aquarium before though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.