Leave lights on longer - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Aquatic Plants

Aquatic Plants Discussions about live plants in your aquarium

Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
2Shi

Default Leave lights on longer

Will leaving lights on for longer allow me to grow high light plants or do I have to get brighter lights?
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

Leaving lights on longer will just cause algae growth. You'll have to upgrade to a better light. What kind of light do you have right now?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Fuzz

"high light" plants doesn't necessarily mean that you need high light to keep certain plants alive. I've had some "high light" plants grow just fine when I had 50ish PAR on my tank. I think that Co2 and fertilizers were the reason that I was able to grow them...That being said, I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade your lights...

What are you trying to grow? I am capable of pushing out well over 100 PAR with just one fixture, I have a Co2 setup and dose pretty heavy on the ferts; but I still had issues growing some plants. Whether they were getting eaten or just didn't acclimate or maybe it was just bad luck, I don't know...

Anyways, If you expand on this and tell us what you're wanting to grow, we can help you out a little better than just "upgrade your lights"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Jasoncampbell

Originally Posted by 2Shi View Post
Will leaving lights on for longer allow me to grow high led lighting plants or do I have to get brighter lights?
I don't think artificial lights have any effect on them. It is mainly sunlight which will cause growth of plants. So it is better to avoid them

Last edited by Jasoncampbell; 01-21-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Jasoncampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
Fuzz

Originally Posted by Jasoncampbell View Post
I don't think artificial lights have any effect on them. It is mainly sunlight which will cause growth of plants. So it is better to avoid them
huh? if plants don't benefit from artificial lights, then why do live plants grow in my tanks, which are in the basement with no windows? Why are live plants available in this hobby if they don't grow in an aquarium?

Maybe I'm just reading your response wrong, but saying that plants won't grow under artificial lights doesn't make sense. Many people grow terrestrial plants as well as aquatic plants in their basements without any natural sunlight. Light is light, artificial or not. There are different wavelengths and color spectrums and "color temperatures" that can make huge variations, but light will always be able to grow some form of plant life.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement