Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Aquatic Plants

Aquatic Plants Discussions about live plants in your aquarium

Old 04-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
vinimack720

Question Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs

i bought some "hardy aponogeton bulbs" from my lfs a few days ago for about 3 dollars, they are dried bulbs about 1/2 inch in diameter, the package says to just drop them in and they will start to grow in a few days. I dont know much about these plants(these are the only real plants i have added to my tank) and was wondering if any one else has used them. How long do they take to sprout? i have had a few in my tank for about 5 days and nothing has happened yet...do they need a lot of light? my lighting is pretty bad( a 15 watt flourecent tube and another 15 watt bulb, i know this falls far short of the 2 or 3 watt per gallon rule for my 75 gal tank but the package says that they are "easy to grow" and i thought this would be a nice treat for my fishies
thanks for any help you can give me
vinimack720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Sprite42

With those bulbs, it is a crap shoot. I have gotten some really nice plants and some are duds. It usually takes several days to two weeks from them to sprout. I just let them float until they sprout and then anchor (not bury) the bulb with the sprout side up.

Some will never sprout. If they show signs of mold or fuzzy growth, I remove them and throw them away. Some them never even sink to the bottom, while others sink immediately.

It is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you might get....
Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 PM   #3
vinimack720

ok, ill keep watch on them

thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2006, 02:10 AM   #4
garfieldnfish

I got the same experiences with them like Sprite described. I figure for the price, even with a few duds, it's still a good deal. I have low light in some of my tanks and they do ok there. Be prepared to buy a new pack every so often as they do not last all that long. Also, try a pack of dwarf lilies if you can. I like the looks of them even better. Once they sprout, they grow really fast, so you have a nicely planted tank in about 1 1/2 weeks.
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
RockabillyChick

i bought 7 bulbs, only 2 sprouted, the rest grew fuzzy stuff on them and i threw them out. the 2 that are growing now are doing good. one of them sprouted right away, maybe a week after i put it in. the other took a while, maybe 3 weeks to sprout.
We keep quiet like they taught us
He just wants, he wants to prove it
She does nothing to remove it
We don't want anyone to mind us
So we play the roles that they assigned us
She does nothing to conceal it
He touches her 'cause he wants to feel it
We blame her for being there
But we are all guilty

http://rockabillychick.deviantart.com/
RockabillyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #6
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

You can also get these at WalMart.

Plopping a dozen in your tank will usually result in your tank becoming a jungle in under a month.

They grow under low light, but they grow more slowly.

They grow to fullsize, bloom ( they have flowers which bloom above the water ) and then they die back again. They are not dead. They are merely resting. If you wait a few weeks they should likely resprout & start all over again, but for better results, take them out of the water & let them dry out, and them return them to the tank in about a month.

If you rub the flowers together, you might get seeds. These seeds are very tiny and very difficult to notice, but you can get new plants that way when they sprout.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

Aponogetons may never die off, depending on the species (undulatus or crispus is what you find in these pkgs.). You can pollenate them yourself with a makeup brush but fish will eat the seeds. Very easy undemanding plant to grow.

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
flamingo
One Word: Croutons.

THe ones I go from a long time ago died off a while ago. I put them in cold water for 2 weeks, then returned them to the tank and they grew like crazy, just a little tip lol.

Smae for me, Out of like 6 I get maybe one or two good ones. The ohter ones just get white and die.
flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

When they die off, wrap them in a moist towel and sit them on a constant heat source (like a cable box) They will sprout again in a cpl of weeks. Some strains still have the dormancy period, but most dont.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
Ownager2004
L33t n00b

Ive tried these a few times. Before using flourish excel I got about half to sprout. After using flourish excel for awhile I added some recently and half sprouted in the first 3 days. I added CO2 early today and all have sprouted now.

I grew these when I had like a 5 year old 15 watt bulb over a 10 gallon with nothing added. They are a very easy plant to grow(bought all mine at wal-mart by the way... the bulbs).

Ive also heard if you do not let the flower reach the surface(cut it) that the plant will grow indeffinately. Which did work for the wal-mart bulbs that I have purchased in the past.
Ownager2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

Correct. The flower is the plant preparing for the cold season. It drops seed (hopefully), and when spring comes again, they will produce new plants. I'm still curious as to where the bulb originally comes from.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #12
vinimack720

yea, i bought my at walmart too, they have been in their for about a week and a few have sprouted a small stem, but the trouble is that i think my goldfish keep biting at the stem! im guessing this will deffinetly affect its growth. Any sugestions?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

Remove the goldfish....................

Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
Nowatzki

Default Sea-Life Aponogeton Bulbs are Hooey!

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt
You can also get these at WalMart.

Plopping a dozen in your tank will usually result in your tank becoming a jungle in under a month.
I bought a package of these "Easy to Grow" Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs at WalMart a month ago, and NONE of the six bulbs ever showed any signs of sprouting. Sending the bulbs back to Sea-Life, Inc., (the originating company) might cost me more than the $2.97 I paid for them, but I think I will do it anyway, because otherwise they are making money off selling people a bunk product.
Nowatzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #15
flamingo
One Word: Croutons.

Old thread.........

If you place them in your tank (and they don't grow fungus) you could wait months before they ever grow. The packet I bought decided to grow one day, 2 months after being in the tank.
flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement