Rainbow sharks and tankmates - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 AM   #1
cuticom

Default Rainbow sharks and tankmates

Sigh, I'm having a horrible time trying to find a tankmate for kelvin my little 3" rainbow shark. he was living with dwarf gouramis and a Molly but the gouramis didnt too weel in the tank so they moved to my planted 20g and Marino the Molly continually beat Kelvin up so Marino was moved to the planted tank as well.

So Kelvin's all by himself and so far hasnt come out of his cave since his tankmates left which was two days ago. I know rainbow sharks are nocturnal but i still wanna see Kelvin sometimes LOL and obviously without other fish to chase him out of his acve now and then he just stays there.

The Tanks a 23-25g, unplanted decorated with just Kelvins cave right now, as I ditched all the ugly plastic plants, does anyone of stocking ideas? Please note I live in outback Australia so the more exotic or rare varieties arent available to me.

The only required fish is Kelvin as he's my absolutely fave fish, when he grows up he'll probably get a 3 or 4 foot tank, but theres at least a few months till then. Oh and understocked is better the overstocked as with my life right now sometimes i dont manage to clean the tank out exactly every 7 days

Emma
cuticom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
girth vader
Hey Now!

Rainbows/Redtails are PITA fish to almost all tankmates. They continuously harrass others. You could try a school 10-12 of Tiger Barbs as they can defend themselves well and will nip back until it stops. Aso by having a small school they will nip at each and leave it alone (unless it's bothering them). As you are aware he will need a larger tank and the barbs would also like a larger tank as well as they are very active fish.
So maybe your best bet is to hold off on getting the barbs until you have a 3-4 footer and then have them all in there together and just use your tank as a growout tank for now. Rainbows are generally slow growers so you will not be hurried into a new tank purchase in the near future, unless you have the $ for one now

Cheers.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:07 PM   #3
cuticom

Lol currently no money for a larger one I'm only 15. No thats not right, I do have enough money for a larger tank but it's not the one I want. Plus I dont have enough for the stand as well.

What about Danios? I've heard they do ok and the long finned ones are pretty
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
girth vader
Hey Now!

personally I would just wait. he wont mind being alone for awhile. but yes the danios would be fast enough, but the long fins would get nipped by your rainbow.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Giddy012

Hi,
I have an Albino Rainbow Shark with my Male Betta, 4 Pot Bellied Mollies, 2 Blue Dwarf Gouramis, and 2 soon to be 4 Panda Cories. I have to say that the Betta and the Cories get along the best with my shark, they are quick enough to get out of his way if need be, and quiet and docile enough to not go after him. Which I think makes him feel not so theatened, I have acually never seen him go after either of them or vise versa. I would co with the cories, they are active and fun to watch, but they do not do well by themselves, 4-6 is a good number for them. However you might want to check into other types of cories, since sharks get a bit bigger I know I will eventually be splitting mine up since Panda Cories only get to be about an inch.
Giddy012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Gourami Swami
Supreme Dictator For Life

What is a rainbow shark? is it this?

Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
AquaGirl

That's not a rainbow shark. Rainbow sharks are like red-tailed sharks except that all their fins are red instead of just the tail/caudal fin.
AquaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
cuticom

Waiting isnt really an option as because he stays in his cave all the time I cant get him to eat, usually he eats what the other fish drop, but since theres no other fish there and he refuses to eat algae wafers... I tried just putting flakes in there as normal but he didnt even see em.

What about a couple of female Bettas? I'd be pretty edgy about adding a male in as their fins are so long and the tanks got a really strong filter current.

So some ideas (Only want to do one of em)
A few female Bettas
4-6 Cories
Try and find normal danios 4-6
A small school of tiger Barbs about 6
Or maybe just a single female Betta

Hmm Lol thats all I can think of right now, who else has got ideas or opinions on any of those?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #9
cuticom

Well Mum's decided to stop by a really good aquarium shop and pick up some clown loaches for her tank, so if I want anything I gotta work it out by tonight. Getting fish from cossroads is way better then the other dingy pet stores, plus they have a much bigger range, only problem is ther almost 2 and a half hours away. LOl so what fish do u guys think?

Edit just thought I'd add a pic of Kelvins tank, I redid it to add heaps of caves to hopefully reduce aggression

Edit again- I found another intersting fish, the blind cave fish, will go do some more research LOL

Last edited by cuticom; 02-20-2007 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 AM   #10
cuticom

Hmm gotta say I really like the look of blind cave fish, I know I'm weird but hey when i was 7 I spent two years begging my parents to get me a bearded dragon LOL.

The blind cave tetra is a fin nipper thats agressive in its own right, so kelvin cant beat em up
They max out at 4"
They look really cool
Are very active fish and live all over the tank

Hmm sounds like a good fish
Old 02-20-2007, 03:19 AM   #11
cuticom

Well, I've decided to definately go for the blind cave tetras, their such cool fish, so I think I'll get about 4 of em, and then Kelvin shud be happy
Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #12
Gourami Swami
Supreme Dictator For Life

DUde... clown loaches and rianbow sharks both get to a foot long.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
DavidB86

I've always had itleast one rainbow shark in my tank(s) for the past five years or so.

They look like this:

The other picture posted was one of a Indecresent Shark, which can grow up to three feet long. I made the mistake of buying two of these one time from petsmart, because I did no prior research on the fish, and the tag said "can grow up to 8 inches long", which is rubbish.

Rainbow sharks grow up to about 6" long (no more then that) and are highly territorial from my experience. I've always housed them with community fish, and they generally leave everything except its own kind alone. I've had no fatalities from stress or bites.

Clown loaches are even more nocturnal then rainbow sharks imo. You rarely ever see them if you have alot of structures they can hide in. They are also veryyyyyy susceptible to ich, which was the main cause of death for mine.
DavidB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
cuticom

Lol sorry, should've explained better. Mum has her own tank, (not this one) in which she had a recent die off after some idiot sold us faulty medicine. The Only surviver was a single 8" clkown loach, so shes getting him some buddies. Kelvin does not live in this tank.

Kelvin lives in a 23g by himself which is way to small for clown loaches.

Well in the end the trip to the shop was cancelled so I ahve some more time to decide but I gotta say I really really like the blind acve tetras LOL
Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
girth vader
Hey Now!

Originally Posted by DavidB86
I've always had itleast one rainbow shark in my tank(s) for the past five years or so.

They look like this:

Rainbow sharks grow up to about 6" long (no more then that) and are highly territorial from my experience.
They get bigger then 6", not as big as Emperors or Balas, but they do get bigger then 6". I have had buddies with them in a comm tank with no prblems either, but I have had probs and sounds like this guys will be a PITA as well.
As far as the CL, if they have a group in the tank they will freely swim, play and happily eat with lights on or off.
Advertisement