New tank-cycling with fish - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
weedkiller

always dechlorinate the water before it goes into the tank... chlorine kills your friendly bacteria... a large water change isnt that much of a problem just dont make a habit of it, ammonia turns to nitrates which in turn turns to less harmfull nitrates.. that is what you need to achieve.As long as the nitrates are low initially you can keep nitrates under control by filter media, not a lover of adding chemicals to fix problems, try to fix it naturally
your levels are not high by any means, but tap water nitrites and ammonia should be 0 anyhow, you need to be able to achieve these levels constantly without it climbing, i always do fishless cycling with a bottle of household ammonia, the benefits of such pays for itself long term with happy healthy fish.
be patient and dont panic with what you have, just try to control what you have, if you have anyone who has a healthy tank running ask for their water from their filter to pour through your filters so all the crap bonds to your filters, but do it within a couple hours of taking it from theirs, it will give your filters a massive boost.
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies

Last edited by weedkiller; 11-21-2012 at 02:10 AM.
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
ancora_imparo
Fishy Member

I always put Aquasafe in the water before it goes in the tank. I'm not fishless cycling-we've got 10 black neon tetras, and have since late October.
ancora_imparo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement