Setting up my 20 gal - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
calebs07

Default Setting up my 20 gal

I am new to fish, I have a few reptiles, but fish seems like a pretty neat thing to get into. I have a 20 gal with 3 planted plants, rock on the bottom and a couple big rocks also, a heater and a waterfall filter. i was thinking about getting 2 albino clawed frogs and about 6 or 7 sword-tails to possibly breed in the future. I was just wondering if the frogs would eat the swords or anything, any other cool fish suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks

calebs07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

the frogs will definitely eat any of the fry from the swordtails....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
calebs07

Thanks! that will save alot of hassle. Do you have any suggestions of a good colony or setups?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
lohachata
Super Moderator

i am kind of old so i tend to be old school in a lot of ways...not real foond of high tech stuff ; just like to keep it simple....way fewer problems that way.....

you have a 20 gallon tank so you are going to be limited to inhabitants...i prefer natural looking tanks...gravel such as riverbed...driftwood...live plants....
good filtration is important...if you use a HOB (hang on back) filter don't buy according to what size tank it is rated for..look for it's GPH(gallon per hour) rating...your filter should be rated at about 170-200 GPH...i would suggest the Aquaclear 50....rated at 200 GPH..that would be plenty for your tank..
a good heater is also important...my recommendation would be 200 watts...i have so far found one of the new brands to be reasonable priced and fairly well made and reliable....the brand is Aqua Top.....
for bottom dwelling fish there are lots of different corydoras and aspidoras that will work great....these little fish love to be in groups of 5 or more...you could actually put 6 of each A. Albater and C. Pygmeus...
for mid level fish there are lots of tetras , rasboras and danios to pick from and they all do best in groups as well...but there are also some that you want to avoid..tiger barbs and serpae tetras are pretty but are major fin nippers...
you could put in a bunch of cardinal tetras and some zebra danios and they should do well together.....

the best thing to do is find fish that you really like...then research their temperaments and environmental needs..see if they are compatible...
make sure you provide them with proper nutrition...at least 3-4 different foods...

don't be in a rush for anything...take the set up and fish additions one step at a time...
your patience will be rewarded with a beautiful aquarium with happy healthy fish with fewer headaches and less expense...

the very best of luck to you...this hobby is very addictive....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
calebs07

Thank you very much i really appreciate the help! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1353464567.354653.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	7239Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1353464586.836799.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	7240I have already purchased a heater that is 100watts. Which was suggested by the fish store I go to, and it seems to be doing alright. I do also have my HOB filter that's rated for 30 gal. Idk what the gph is on it, my box is at my other house. I do have 2 live Anubias plants and a water sprite, with nice riverbed gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement