White on scales - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
MrKrabs

Default White on scales

And yet another observation. I noticed one of my guppies had some light white skin like things on it's body. I carefully removed the fish and gently wiped it with my finger before returning it. It seems to be gone now. Wondering if gybe it is some of the calcium that had built up in my sponge filter when it had dried out. When I started it again, white tiny flakes were scattered on the bottom of the aquarium.
MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Hmmm.... That would be very unusual, but stuff has been known to stick to fish on occasion. Watch carefully to see if it returns.
By the way, wiping off a fish is generally a bad idea. The slime coat of the fish will eventually get rid of any offending particulates, but wiping off the protective slime coat can leave the fish vulnerable to various problems.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
MrKrabs

After wiping away the matter which did look like ich, it has not returned. Fish is very active and has no trouble breathing. I do a full water change once per week, maybe twice depending on whether they poop more then usual. I also removed the Cory catfish to a seperate tank. No need for extra poop in tank. Besides, my guppies love to eat off the bottom as well.
MrKrabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Lehman111

My Father's Koi in his lake have beautiful white scale and I'm fairly sure he got his out of a tennis course lake. Where did you get your fish??o its very sad that your fish is weaping and its tears is drop on your fingure....

Last edited by Lehman111; 12-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Lehman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement