First Tank - Shopping List - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
2Shi

Default First Tank - Shopping List

Hi All!

I am starting my very first freshwater fish tank! It's going to be a 54 gallon planted corner tank.

I've done some research and figured out what I would need for the tank. I just recently purchased a lot of things and I want to make sure that I have everything I will need. Also, if I bought extra stuff that I don't need, I'd like to return it. Here's the list of what I've already purchased:

Necessities
1x 54 Gallon Corner Aquarium (with hood and cabinet stand)
1x Eheim AEH2213370 Classic 250 Canister Filter 2213
1x Aqueon 06107 Pro Submersible Heater (150-watt)
1x 30" T5HO 2x54W ballast (haven't bought yet but plan to do so today)
1x Aqueon Siphon - 50 feet
1x Marina Floating Thermometer with Suction Cup
4x CaribSea Eco-Complete 20lb Planted Aquarium Substrate - Black

Chemicals
1x API Freshwater Master Test Kit
1x Seachem Flourish Excel 500ml
1x Seachem Flourish 500ml
1x Seachem Prime 500ml

Extras
1x Eheim AEH3581090 Automatic Fish Feeder
1x Fluval Flora SS Planting Tongs - 10.63in.
1x Fluval Flora SS Aquatic Plant Scissors - 9.8in.
1x Tetra 77854 Whisper Air Pump, 60-gallon (Plus air tubes and 1-in cylinder air stones)

Let me know if I've done anything wrong thus far! I'm looking to have a mid-high lighting tank so let me know if my lighting choice is no good. I found lighting to be VERY confusing so I may have not chosen a good ballast (hence, I haven't bought it yet).

Thanks!
2Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
2Shi

Disregard this post. My comment was slightly off-topic and I'm going to create a separate thread to learn about it more in-depth.

Last edited by 2Shi; 12-20-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Starting separate thread with this question
Old 12-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Ice

I'm not a big fan of canister filters. I had one on my 3 gallon tank and didn't really clear up the film on the water surface. Switched to a HOB and never looked back. Lighting - all you need is simple lighting your tank comes with. Or invest in basic LED lighting (they run cooler and don't use a lot of energy) Just don't get LED made for saltwater/reef tanks.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
2Shi

I think that Canister filters have the merit that they can be placed underneath the tank rather than hanging off the side; thus, being more aesthetically pleasing. However, since this is my first tank, I can't compare to HOB filters. I will take that advice and pay close attention to my tank to see if i experience the same problem with film on the surface.

As for lighting, my tank doesn't come with a light which is why I'm looking to purchase a ballast separately. I heard T5HO lights are the best for growing plants so I went with that choice. Are LEDs also good for growing plants? Are they better than T5HO?
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
C. King

Canister filters and HOB filters can both be good, just depends on personal preference. With a corner tank, having a canister under cabinet may be more convenient. Since you want a planted aquarium, you will def. need lights for plants. T5HO is a good choice. LEDs can be good, but in order to get the serious, plant supporting LEDs, it will cost more than T5. The little old LEDs they sell at fishstores are good for fish viewing, only. What about a test kit, one that tests ph, ammonia, nitrites, & nitrates?
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp

Last edited by C. King; 12-20-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
2Shi

The ATI freshwater master test kit is advertised as an all in one kit that has all the needed tests. Correct me if I'm wrong. Pretty sure it has ammonia, pH, nitrate, etc tests. I'm on my phone right now using 3g so I won't have time to confirm for myself until I get home
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
C. King

API, is the name, and yes, its a good one. Comes in a neat little package, with test tubes and instructions. I made a chart and keep track. (OCD, much? maybe, just a little!
but my fish dont seem to mind!)
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement