Betta has white dots on body - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
Angelclown

Salt does not cure ich, like once believed. It will do more harm to your fish than good. Never use salt on any freshwater fish.
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #17
flip dskript

Originally Posted by 0828Dawn View Post
you can add salt if you desire, I don't (plants)...but yes, you can simply do the daily 25% water change with the conditioner while leaving the temperature up to get rid of the problem.
I just did a 25% water change with water conditioner. I also changed the taller plants towards the back and have the middle of the tank clear for all the fish to swim around. I didn't feed the fish this evening. All of a sudden Valerie the Betta is swimming normally back and forth and not hiding into the plants. I will still do the daily water change for the next 6-7 days and see how things go.

Flip
  • 5 - Silver Tip Tetras
  • 3 - Dalmatian Molly Fry
flip dskript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #18
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by flip dskript View Post
I just did a 25% water change with water conditioner. I also changed the taller plants towards the back and have the middle of the tank clear for all the fish to swim around. I didn't feed the fish this evening. All of a sudden Valerie the Betta is swimming normally back and forth and not hiding into the plants. I will still do the daily water change for the next 6-7 days and see how things go.

Flip
Glad to hear things are going better!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #19
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Wink

Originally Posted by Angelclown View Post
Salt does not cure ich, like once believed. It will do more harm to your fish than good. Never use salt on any freshwater fish.
Salt can be beneficial to bettas in correct dosage. Low doses of salt ARE good for bettas. I did not say it cures ich. It helps. Bettas have a decently high tolerance of salt. The idea is that the parasite will have less tolerance to the salt. I have also heard that it adds beneficial electrolytes to the water, but I cannot verify this. I am sure of my information on this subject. I have treated ich before and spoken with experienced hobbyists who have been in the hobby for upwards of 40 years like lohachata. Honestly, I trust what he says. He runs a chain store after all.....

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #20
emc7

salt is an electrolyte, lol. Any salt is. Something that breaks into positive and negative ions in the water. Whether it is beneficial depends on the fish and which electrolyte. Most fish do need things like Ca+2 and Mg+2, but not too much Na+ or CL-. "conductivity" is basically sticking in a leads and measuring how the water conducts electricity is a good measure of "saltiness". Some fish thrive in water with more ions in it and suffer in water with less (mollies, rift lake cichlids) other fish (some black water tetra and cories) suffer if the conductivity is high and can die from too much salt. Always research your fish before treating with salt.

The heat + salt cure is a old one and long proven to work. Salt alone may not kill ich, but may reduce attachment or be otherwise helpful. However, like any other living thing, ich evolves. There are now strains of ich immune to most of the various "cures" and if you half treat and stop, it comes back stronger and more resistant. Stores with low-dose salt and ich meds constantly in their systems don't help. It reminds me of Daffy telling Elmer to "wait til you get home" instead of "shoot me now", all the diseases are there, but don't start killing the fish until you get them home.

Last edited by emc7; 12-29-2012 at 12:14 AM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #21
Betta man
King of the Bettas

That's why you do not overdose. You will end up creating a super bug that is immune to disease. I believe that's what mycro is. It is infecting petco's fish.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #22
emc7

Fish TB. That is nasty stuff. There is a group of little bacteria (thus the mycro-prefix) that live everywhere. Related to TB is humans (which get multi-drug resistant and is hard to kill). It can infect you through a open wound exposed to fish water and require months of intravenous antibiotics to cure. The usually treatment is to kill all the fish and bleach the tank. But the stuff has been found alive in tanks after bleaching (perhaps the humans bring it back). If you want to quit fish, read some of the firsthand accounts of human cases.

Since similar bacteria live everywhere, its hard to condemn a chain on a "positive" quick test result. But if your local store actually has this in its system, find another source.

Bacteria live in an ecosystem of competing creatures and when we reduce one sort, another will multiple to fill the niche. You really can't win. They say UV sterilizers kill 99% of harmful bacteria, but the survivors are going to have the fish to themselves.

Last edited by emc7; 12-29-2012 at 01:44 AM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #23
flip dskript

I did another water change with water conditioner and did not feed the fish today, I plan to feed them every other day for the next five days. It was suggested earlier that I raise the temp to 90 degrees to kill the ick. How long do I keep the temperature up at this stage? Once I see the ick go away do I decrease the temperature, if so to what temp do I keep my tank at?

Thanks everyone for all your input.

Flip
  • 5 - Silver Tip Tetras
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
flip dskript

Today is my weekly water change. I am slowly lowering the temperature of the tank by a couple degrees. The ick is gone from the Betta. I did a 40% water change with water conditioner and will updated tomorrow.
  • 5 - Silver Tip Tetras
Old 12-30-2012, 11:50 PM   #25
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

sounds like you are well on your way to getting over the ich in your tank.
lower the temp 1-2 degrees per day until you get it back to where you want to keep it...that'll be less stressful on your now recovering fish.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Treat the fish for 10 days after all the spots are gone. I believe ich's life cycle is week long.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
flip dskript

Default 20% Water Change

I'm still on schedule with the daily water changes. No more ick on the Betta at this time and keeping the tank temp at 80 F degrees.

Big surprise today, i seen three new Dalmation Molly fry today in the tank. I didn't expect to see any new fry this soon.

• 5 - Silver Tip Tetras
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

if memory serves increased heat speeds up their gestation.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
flip dskript

Originally Posted by 0828Dawn View Post
if memory serves increased heat speeds up their gestation.
I read somewhere online that the mollies will breed as long as the heater is on.
  • 5 - Silver Tip Tetras
Old 12-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #30
0828Dawn
Fishy Member

I kept them years back...pretty much you name it and I've probably had it at one point or another.

Can't say if they'd breed in unheated water...but I know that's one sure fire way them to get the shimmy's & ich.
Advertisement