stocking 50 gallon - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
WetWork
Fishy Member

Default stocking 50 gallon

So i started my stock with 6 Black Rasboras and 6 Von Rio Tetras. I was going to do two apistos as my centerpiece fish but i am reconsidering. I feel like I want to do 1 or 2 bigger fish at least 5-6 inches. Any recommendations?
WetWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Betta pallifina or unimaculata. Something in that complex. They are very pretty and are mouth brooders. IMO, mouth brooders are some of the most interesting fish to watch when they spawn except for bubble nesters. If you listen to me, you will be the first person on this forum who has taken my stocking suggestion lol. They should be good with apistos as apistos are usually softer water right? Anyways, check out all the bettas. You could even get 2 or 3 male betta imbellis. Bettas are the coolest fish out there. Don't listen to cichlid people who don't keep bettas lol. Bettas are the best.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
ZebraDanio12

No way, cichlids are the best!! Dwarfs are my all time favs. Apistos and Rams have a lot of personality. Breeding habbits are very cool to watch. Just got more from my Rams last night!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Lol, I have seen my brothers rams spawn. Bettas are by far cooler. boo cichilds. Rams and apistos are pretty much the only cichlids I like except for lamprologus ocellatus.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #5
emc7

Some of the apistos get up in to the 4-5" range for maies. I also like Laetacara sp. like dorsigera or nanocara anomola. Rainbow cichlids, herertotilapia multispinosa or any of the mid-sized kribs, pelvicachromis sp.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
lohachata
Super Moderator

well ; i will say this for bettas....they are one of the most hardy fish you can keep..almost anybody can keep them for years....many of the dwarf cichlids are a bit more delicate...
as emc said....some of the african dwarfs are really nice and not hard to maintain..i have kept about 6 different species of them over the years and they are quite interesting little critters..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
WetWork
Fishy Member

So I am caught between wanting the two apistos, 1 agassizi and 1 double red or maybe 1 or 2 koi angels. I am just worried about the angels being hit or miss with aggressiveness. I know apistos are "semi-aggresive" but I really havent seen too many instances of it. I have plenty of hiding room for the apistos but the angels are just out in the open so if it ends up being aggressive there really is no way to curb it. Would it be possible to do the 2 apistos and 1 angel? Current stock is 6 Von Rio Tetra, 6 Black Rasbora and 3 Elegant cory. I plan on upping the tetras and rasboras to 8-10 and the cories to 6-8.
WetWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement