Stocking a new 20-gallon tank - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Beginner Freshwater

Beginner Freshwater You got questions? This is where to post them.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
ashleymd
Fishy Member

Default Stocking a new 20-gallon tank

Hi Everybody. So I need a little help. We have moved out 3 large (size of an orange) goldfish from a 20-gallon that they used to fit properly to a 75 gallon. My husband and I have decided that we want to stock the 20-gallon again. It has been cleaned, and set up with new everything, rock, filter, air-stone, etc. I've never had "small fish" like tetras and danios. We were wondering if the following would be an overstock.

4 Neon Tetras
4 Zebra Danios
4 Male Fancy Guppies
and 2 African Dwarf Frogs.

We are aware that ADF do need breathing room at the top, we plan to leave 1" - 1 1/2" of the tank unfilled. The tank hood we have is a full cover, and is a very snug fit for the filter - not more than 1/4" on each side and 1/2" in front for water to flow in.

Like I mentioned we are new to small fish, so any help would be great. We did look around the forum before posting, and it did help answer quite a few questions already! We hope to become a regular visitor around here.

ashleymd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Dilligaf_1

Hi ashley, I love the tetras, as a matter of fact, I have been keeping fish for many years and I have never been without at least one tetra tank going. They have great color, and are almost always on the move, and if you make small schools in your tank, it will almost look like water flowing as they move around together. Neons, and cardinals are 2 of my favs. I would not worry too much about your proposed stocking, it will be fine, but I do have some concerns about the choices. Fancy guppies are usually not the best swimmers, and in a tank of speed demons, neons & zebras, you may find some nipped tails. The african frogs, although they are called dwarf, that is relative, dwarf compared to what, a giant 10" frog.....what I'm trying to say is they will still grow to about 2" in size, and well I'm not 100% sure but I think those neons may make a nice snack.
Dilligaf_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
ashleymd
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by Dilligaf_1 View Post
Hi ashley, I love the tetras, as a matter of fact, I have been keeping fish for many years and I have never been without at least one tetra tank going. They have great color, and are almost always on the move, and if you make small schools in your tank, it will almost look like water flowing as they move around together. Neons, and cardinals are 2 of my favs. I would not worry too much about your proposed stocking, it will be fine, but I do have some concerns about the choices. Fancy guppies are usually not the best swimmers, and in a tank of speed demons, neons & zebras, you may find some nipped tails. The african frogs, although they are called dwarf, that is relative, dwarf compared to what, a giant 10" frog.....what I'm trying to say is they will still grow to about 2" in size, and well I'm not 100% sure but I think those neons may make a nice snack.
And this is exactly why I'm here asking!

What else would you suggest putting with danios and tetras? Those are our two favorties to watch. we are looking for some more color as the tank its set very earth-toned.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Dilligaf_1

If you want to stick to the tetras, check out Congos, they will look bland when they are small but as they grow the colors are awesome, I also like emperor tetras, again full grown they are stunning. You may also like some of the more flashier types, like diamonds, von rio's, or phantoms are all crowd pleaser's. If you are looking for something a bit larger, a couple of angel fish...and i do mean a couple...tank isn't big enough for a whole flock. Angels occur naturally with neons, and it is said that having the smaller fish with the angels, makes the angels feel more comfortable. Anyone else...ideas for ashley?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
Dilligaf_1

I just thought of another possibility, if you stick with more acidic water, apisto's are also colorful dwarf cichlids that tend to stay near the bottom of the tank...the tetras and danios will occupy the rest of the water column.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
ZebraDanio12

ADF will not eat other fish. They are practically blind. They will however eat invertebrates like shrimp. But tetras or danios? No, they are too fast and he will hardly see them. I've had many ADFs and only time they ate a fish was when it was dead.

I second Dilligaf's suggestion for apisto's. Or any type of dwarf. I have a pair of orange flash apistos, had a pair of cockatoos (lost male to old age), a pair of blue rams, and my new addition is a pair of curviceps.

Dwarf's are awesome! I think by far the most interesting have been the curviceps when in breeding mode. SO cool.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
ashleymd
Fishy Member

We are going to our Fish Shop this weekend to check out what everybody looks like. I'll let you know what we decide. Thank You for all the suggestions.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Trout

I've heard that dwarf frogs are pretty filthy creatures, and that's part of the reason I wouldn't want to get them. And I would definitely get more that 4 neon tetras. Personally, I'd suggest at least 6 of them. And Dilligaf, I was also going to suggest a couple angels to have a little something graceful to look at when your eyes get tired of zipping back and forth with the tetras. That's all I got for now... Though if you want to do Danios, Celestial Pearl Danios are certainly eyecatchers! Such beautiful fish.

10 gallon setup:
1 Julii Cory
3 pearl danios
2 Japanese Algae Eater Shrimp
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
ashleymd
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
I've heard that dwarf frogs are pretty filthy creatures, and that's part of the reason I wouldn't want to get them. And I would definitely get more that 4 neon tetras. Personally, I'd suggest at least 6 of them. And Dilligaf, I was also going to suggest a couple angels to have a little something graceful to look at when your eyes get tired of zipping back and forth with the tetras. That's all I got for now... Though if you want to do Danios, Celestial Pearl Danios are certainly eyecatchers! Such beautiful fish.

Would two Angela be okay in a 20 with other fish, as in I do not plan on upgrading this tank to a larger one. This is our bedroom tank.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Trout

If what Dilligaf said is true, and angels occur with Neons in Nature, a couple should be perfectly fine with a school of neons for just a 20. I'm not really sure how big they get.

10 gallon setup:
1 Julii Cory
3 pearl danios
2 Japanese Algae Eater Shrimp
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Dilligaf_1

20 gal properly filtered should be ok for a couple of angels, it is about the smallest size I would house them in though. The other fish are almost a non issue, with only a small school of neons, and the danios, you will be fine. Zebradanio12, thanks for the info on the frogs, I didn't know they were nearly blind, and you are right they certainly would have a rough time catching those fish. And like Trout said I would go with more than 4 of the neons, 6 or 8 make a nicer show. ( cardinals are even nicer....just saying)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
ZebraDanio12

Dilligaf, your welcome(:

Angels will eat neons when they get bigger and get to the size of your hand. Keep that in mind.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Dilligaf_1

Oh please don't paint my beloved angels in a bad light lol they too would have to try and catch those little speed demons.....and I think the neons are sure to have the advantage. Ive kept them together for years, but as you mention, angels are cichlids and their predatory ways should not be overlooked, mine were always housed in aquariums with plenty of cover, and areas for the little guys to hide if they were ever threatened, good point for Ashleymd to consider.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
ashleymd
Fishy Member

We have decided to reconstruct our tank set up to make it a bit more Angelfish friendly with hiding spots and cover. We are thinking two Angels and a handful of Tetras and Danios.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
ZebraDanio12

Angels are great, but they are actually very good at catching fish. If i ever had excess guppy fry i would feed em to angels. As long as ashley gets tetras too big for the angels mouth, she will be just fine.
Advertisement