Your thoughts on my fish stock list - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Saltwater > Beginner Saltwater

Beginner Saltwater Got questions? This is where you post them.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
Ice

Originally Posted by Fishfirst View Post
Like I said... you can get the answer you want somewhere on reef central. There are people who know what they are talking about on there and then there are idoits. In my experience EVERY angel has a chance of nipping corals. And I've kept thousands of these animals in reefs.
No disrespect but I usually go to reefcentral or other SW forum site due to inactivity in the salt forums here. While I do understand the risks of dwarf angels nipping corals, but I believe some won't bother with them. Just my opinion.

I don't feel reefcentral are all idiots. Many have been helpful and given me a lot of insight on a variety of questions and topics regarding saltwater aquaria keeping.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

The majority of opinion on reef central is based on one fish that they've kept or just a regurgitation of what they've heard. I've kept probably 40 of these fish in the past 3 years. You stated that it will not nip corals, I just disagree in the absolute statement (as with most things in this hobby). I've had multicolors harrass corals a handful of times, every angel has a personality and every angel truly is different. I'm not saying this site is better for information, but I do believe that I have more experience than say 99% on reef central with this particular fish.

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
Ice

No disrespect to you, but I'm not touching that last comment regarding you having more experience than those on Reef Central.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

No disrespect to you, but I've been answering questions to the likes of the elite on reefcentral for a few years now. You see, I've sold fish to the majority of the most famous of the experts on that forum. Like I said, most of these people have had one or two of these fish and that is the extent of their experience.

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Ice

Okay - I will agree with you regarding reefentral. These last few months, I have read a lot of threads with newbies asking questions and answered by some so-called experts and those questions are turned around by the more experienced reefers. There is no doubt there will be one who thinks he knows it all than the next guy. That I've caught on quick when I first signed up there.

I do have one question for you regarding SW tank set-up change of mine.

After spending considerable time researching a possible nano tank set-upo with beginner corals, I've looked into getting a 16G Nuvo tank by Innovative Marine. The reason I'm choosing this tank is cost and space.

I am very well aware a nano tank has very little room for error and is often frowned upon for a beginner to start up with. I know bigger is better and much easier to correct/fix anything that's seem off (pH , salinity, etc...).

I am confident I can do it. My stock would simply be a pair of Clownfish (Ocelleris or Fiji Clowns) and a scarlet cleaner shrimp.

Beginner corals and its placement as shown below:

My question -

Is it possible to do away with a calcium reactor or kalkwasser and do simple dosing of calcium for the corals intended to house? Or would partial water changes using Reef salt mix as opposed to Marine salt mix (fish onlies set-up). I'm planning on using Reef salt mix as my salt water mix source.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

Dosing is entirely dependant upon the inhabitants of the tank. As the stoney coral bioload increases demand for calcium magnesium and strontium increases, thus your question comes with some complexity and there is no straight forward answer. On a tank that small though a calc reactor is more than likely going to be overkill no matter how many corals you have. Dosing maybe necessary when the tank is mature, water changes may be sufficient with an immature tank. The key to this question is testing frequently.

Last edited by Fishfirst; 12-09-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Ice

Thank you. Having finding out whether or not to invest in a calcium reactor or kalkwasser has been the most confusing to me - especially for a nano tank. I do realize they are a must have for tanks larger than nano tanks with corals and clams - just wasn't sure with smaller tanks. I do agree testing for calcium is a must and dosing calcium must be done carefully when needed.

One last question - explain to me what is GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) is?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

Basically like carbon that specificially targets the removal of phosphates. Usually used in a reactor, but can be used in a media bag as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement