Your thoughts on my fish stock list - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Saltwater > Beginner Saltwater

Beginner Saltwater Got questions? This is where you post them.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Ice

Default Your thoughts on my fish stock list

After doing a lot of reading on marine fish compatibilties for my future SW tank, I'd like to hear your thoughts on my fish list.

46G Bowfront aquarium stock list:

1 Ocelleris Clownfish (tank-bred)
1 B&W Ocelleris Claownfish (tank-bred)
2 Bangaii or PJ Cardinalfish
1 Possum Wrasse or Pink Streak Wrasse
1 Clown Goby (either Citrinis or Green)
1 Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish (this will be the last fish added to the tank)

Inverts:

2 or 3 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Scarlet Shrimp or Blue Coral Banded Shrimp (if CB do play nice with Peppermints)
Blue Tuxedo Urchin

and of course Reef Cleaner package (I was told to get snails, not hermits, Don't know why though)
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
revisMVP
Fishy Member

I also have a 46 bow front and I suggest getting a bicolor angel. It is a beautiful fish and mine has literally ate every single piece of algae in my tank so you really can't go wrong with it.
revisMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Ice

Update on my invert stock:

2 Scarlet Skunk Shrimps
1 Blue Tuxedo Urchin

No on the Bi Color Angel since it states 'with caution' in reef tank.

How did you set your LR? Center seamont? Open lagoon? Two seamounts? Open lagoon with single seamount?
Old 10-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
revisMVP
Fishy Member

Mine is setup more like an open lagoon with just a few rocks stacked here and there. My lawnmower blenny actually made his own "tunnel" system under a few rocks.
revisMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Ice

Do you have a pic? I'm curious on how it looks in a 46G bowfront tank. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
e048

If you're doing corals steer away from angels
e048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Ice

The Multicolor dwarf angel won't bother corals. I've already got an inquriy confirmation through ReefCentral forums a long while back.

I've updated my stocklist to this:

2 Ocelleris Clownfish (orange, B&W)
2 Bangaii Cardinalfish (M & F)
Royal Gramma
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Possum Wrasse (was confirmed a Possum & Pink Streak Wrasse will not bother each other)
Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish - he will be the LAST fish introduced.

Inverts:

2 Scarlet Skunk Shrimps
Blue Tuxedo Urchin
CUC (blue legged hermits, snails etc...)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Ice

And if I decide to go the Nano direction (16 gallon Nuvo tank)

Either:

Possum or Pick Streak Wrasse

OR...

Either:

A pair of Fiji Barberi Clownfish

If a pair is not doable, I will have:

1 Fiji Barberi Clownfish
1 Fiji Devil Damselfish
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Whoa.. you were doing great up until the end there...
Fiji Devils are aptly named. Don't try to keep one with anything else in such a tiny tank.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Ice

The more I thought about it the Fiji Devil Damsel, more I wondered if it was even a good idea to begin with. I'll stick with a pair of Fiji Barberi Clownfish if I decide to go that route due to them being a little more aggressive than the Ocelleris Clowns. They look very similar to Tomato clowns only in a slightly smaller version (3.5 inches matured).
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

Originally Posted by Ice View Post
The Multicolor dwarf angel won't bother corals. I've already got an inquriy confirmation through ReefCentral forums a long while back. heheh, reefcentral... the place where you can find any answer to any question. These are the same people who argue with me about an obvious ID on a wrasse and can't get it right. Multicolors are just as prone to picking as any other angel sorry to say.

I've updated my stocklist to this:

2 Bangaii Cardinalfish (M & F)
Royal Gramma
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Possum Wrasse (was confirmed a Possum & Pink Streak Wrasse will not bother each other)
Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish - he will be the LAST fish introduced.

Inverts:

2 Scarlet Skunk Shrimps
Blue Tuxedo Urchin
CUC (blue legged hermits, snails etc...)

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

The more I thought about it the Fiji Devil Damsel, more I wondered if it was even a good idea to begin with. I'll stick with a pair of Fiji Barberi Clownfish if I decide to go that route due to them being a little more aggressive than the Ocelleris Clowns. They look very similar to Tomato clowns only in a slightly smaller version (3.5 inches matured).
Why ruin a nice peaceful tank with some bullies? I'm sure your pink streak and possum wrasse, royal gramma, and bangaii cardinals would prefer these fish to be left out of the tank. I think you should reconsider on these mini tomato clowns that are more than likely going to be very stressful on an otherwise peaceful tank. Multicolors aren't exactly bold either toward fish that are aggressive toward them.

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #13
Ice

Originally Posted by Fishfirst View Post
Why ruin a nice peaceful tank with some bullies? I'm sure your pink streak and possum wrasse, royal gramma, and bangaii cardinals would prefer these fish to be left out of the tank. I think you should reconsider on these mini tomato clowns that are more than likely going to be very stressful on an otherwise peaceful tank. Multicolors aren't exactly bold either toward fish that are aggressive toward them.
Hold on. LOL!

If I decide to start with a 16g Nuvo, I would have only a pair of clowns (either Ocelleris clowns- orange and B&W; OR a pair of Fij Barberi Clowns)

If I went with the 46g BF (which may happen down the road)

1 pair of Ocelleris Clowns (orange and B&W)
1 pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish (male & female)
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Possum wrasse
Royal Gramma
Multicolor Dwarf Angel - he will be the last fish added.

I was informed in another site (ReefCentral) this angel will be fine as long as it is the last fish added and will not nip corals.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
Gregoryalln854

Most any dwarf angel will be fine. You can add the dwarf angel when ever, if it starts to bully then just change your rock work and they will quit. The Bicolor would really only bully the Royal Gramma if not added first(going off your stock list). I once pulled off having 11 dwarf angels in 1-150gallon. Also depending on the fish there is always a chance they will nip corals. I had 1 bicolor do some nipping, but this was the only one. I also had 2 yellow coris wrasse's ravage my corals, they were replaced and the next pair never touched them.

Last edited by Gregoryalln854; 11-20-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Gregoryalln854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

Hold on. LOL!

If I decide to start with a 16g Nuvo, I would have only a pair of clowns (either Ocelleris clowns- orange and B&W; OR a pair of Fij Barberi Clowns)

If I went with the 46g BF (which may happen down the road)

1 pair of Ocelleris Clowns (orange and B&W)
1 pair of Bangaii Cardinalfish (male & female)
Pink Streaked Wrasse
Possum wrasse
Royal Gramma
Multicolor Dwarf Angel - he will be the last fish added.

I was informed in another site (ReefCentral) this angel will be fine as long as it is the last fish added and will not nip corals.
Like I said... you can get the answer you want somewhere on reef central. There are people who know what they are talking about on there and then there are idoits. In my experience EVERY angel has a chance of nipping corals. And I've kept thousands of these animals in reefs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement