betta doesnt like light - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Bettas

Bettas Discussions about Betta Splendens

Old 11-10-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
nolash

Question betta doesnt like light

I have a female betta fish in a 2 gallon mini-hex tank. along with the tank came a 15watt incandescent bulb. it is currently situated on an endtable with a lamp next to it. the betta doesnt seem to mind the light from the endtable lamp(which uses a flourescent bulb) but if i turn on the light for the tank the betta freaks out . she starts flaring her gills out(which looks really nasty) and turns a little white. i can not figure what the problem is. i have tried several different incandescent bulbs for her with the same result. so far i have tried a standard 15watt clear bulb, then a 15watt aqua-glo bulb, and then a 15watt blue bulb and it still freaks her out. is it maybe that she should have a flourescent bulb? do incandescents have this effect on some bettas? any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks
nolash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
Zoe
<)))<

Bettas don't really like strong light.
Either leave the light off, or you could get some plants to provide shade and cover. Get some floating plants, and some plants with large leaves (ie anubias, sword). See if you can't get a fluorescent bulb to keep the plants growing, of course, and she should be much more comfortable like that.

You can also get some dried almond leaf (e-bay has some). You put it in the water and it turns the water a slightly brownish, which also makes the betta more comfortable.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
Puffer Pita
Puffer Enthusiast

I wouldn't recommend plants with an incandescent bulb. You can replace it with a lower watt fluorescent bulb though and that will help. You can get 10w fluorescent screw-in bulbs from pet stores, fish stores or online at places like drsfostersmith.com or bigalsonline.com

Puffers:
Auriglobus silus x2
Colomesus asellus x1
Tetraodon travancoricus x1
Tetraodon biocellatus x2
Tetraodon nigroviridis x1
Tetraodon baileyi x2
Tetraodon lineatus x1
Tetraodon palembangensis x1

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi

Puffer Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:58 PM   #4
Ringo
I'm just a Twig

2watts of light per gallon right?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Zoe
<)))<

Depends. 2W/gal is plenty if you want to go with some higher, mid-light plants. However, lots of plants will grow in lower than that, say 1w/g.
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Puffer Pita
Puffer Enthusiast

The watts per gallon ratio breaks down in small tanks, so although having 10 watts on a 2 gallon tank comes to 5 watts per gallon, its still only very low light. Not sure why that is, but its true for tanks about 20g and under. I have 40 watts on my 10 gallon tank and can still only grow low to medium low light plants, anything else will falter and die.

Puffers:
Auriglobus silus x2
Colomesus asellus x1
Tetraodon travancoricus x1
Tetraodon biocellatus x2
Tetraodon nigroviridis x1
Tetraodon baileyi x2
Tetraodon lineatus x1
Tetraodon palembangensis x1

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi

Puffer Pita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #7
Bettaman
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by nolash
I have a female betta fish in a 2 gallon mini-hex tank. along with the tank came a 15watt incandescent bulb. it is currently situated on an endtable with a lamp next to it. the betta doesnt seem to mind the light from the endtable lamp(which uses a flourescent bulb) but if i turn on the light for the tank the betta freaks out . she starts flaring her gills out(which looks really nasty) and turns a little white. i can not figure what the problem is. i have tried several different incandescent bulbs for her with the same result. so far i have tried a standard 15watt clear bulb, then a 15watt aqua-glo bulb, and then a 15watt blue bulb and it still freaks her out. is it maybe that she should have a flourescent bulb? do incandescents have this effect on some bettas? any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks
It's not the light she has a problem with. It's the reflection she sees of herself against the tank glass that is more obvious with the tank light. There is no easy solution to this other than to use a lower wattage lamp or reposition the lamp further away from the tank so here reflection is not as obvious to her. But it's not the light that she doesn't like. It's the 'other female Betta' (herself) that she sees when the light is turned on.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
kristian18f

They have a flurescent at walmart for about $5 (if your in the states) I use it in my tanks and my bettas seem ok with it. It's also great for the plants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement