Betta Care - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Bettas

Bettas Discussions about Betta Splendens

Old 03-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Post Betta Care

If you want or have a betta and don't know how to care about it, this is for you.

Bettas

Betta fish are easy fish to care for. You don't have to have a big aquarium, just a two gallon bowl, which is the

smallest size recommended. Bettas can live up to five years, but mostly live two to three years in bowls. They

require food once a day. They like varied diets and pellets and

blood worms should do well, but only as a treat. It's better to underfeed then overfeed as bettas will eat too much if given

the chance.

It is best to keep bettas in a 5+ gallon aquarium with a heater and filter, as bettas like heated water with a gentle

current. Optimal water temperature is between 76 and 84ļ F as bettas are tropical fish and like warm water. Water should be clean and warm. Plants

will help keep aquarium water healthy, but weekly water changes are still needed. Plants are a great addition to any betta tank as bettas like exploring.

It is recommended to daily take a turky baster and suck out poop and some water at the bottom of the container and replace it with dechlorinated water.

The males can't be housed together without a divider, but the females can be kept together in groups of threes

in a five gallon aquarium. Females like to socialize so it is best to keep them in larger groups. Males and

females shouldn't be housed together if there's no divider. Bettas can jump and will sometimes jump out of their

tank and onto the floor or another fish's jar.

Bettas are smart and beautiful. They can be trained to do tricks like swimming through a hoop or jumping up

and eating out of your hand. They come in many tail types and colors. Some tail types are Veiltails, Delta Tails,

Halfmoons, Plakats, Crowntails, Double Tails, Triple Tails, Rose Tails, and mixed tails like Halfmoon Plakat, and

Crowntail Plakats. Some colors are red, blue, green, yellow, purple, white, pink, brown, black, and mixed colors.

There are even different color markings such as solid color, butterfly, devil, dragon, cambodian, tuteweiler, marble,

and more!

There are betta shows and clubs. One of the clubs is the IBC (International Betta Congress). The IBC puts on

shows and their forum is a great place for info! A good book for information is Bettas by Marshall E. Ostrow. Bettas

can be found in most pet stores that carry fish.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....

Last edited by Betta man; 06-17-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Angelclown

Betta man: use this when letting someone know how to care for a betta.
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Okay. Thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Angelclown

You're welcome.
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Chard56

I would recommend you change the temperature to 76 to 82 with 78 being optimal. Otherwise you will be encouraging people to keep their Bettas at room temperature which is not good for them. They are a tropical species and require the higher temperature.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Yeah. I have learned a lot since I wrote this. Such as that longfins need 76 + while plakats are okay sometimes at 68. I know someone who keeps their wilds at room temp. (ONLY ADULTS THOUGH).

Done though.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Betta man
King of the Bettas

It's ok. Bad english, and bettas are not normally red or blue. I also wouldn't keep 2 males together unless they were raised together. I am also having good success with breeding my bettas in a 7.9 planted aquarium with gravel. I haven't fed them anything. They are getting fat and growing on the microorganisms in the tank that the plants house. Bettas also live in cambodia. Betta stiktos are pretty much only found in cambodia.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement