Colour Bettas - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Bettas

Bettas Discussions about Betta Splendens

Old 12-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
QueenPersephone

Default Colour Bettas

I've talk to a lot of people who use have a red bettas and myself had one too. They all told me that there red betta died in a few weeks. My red betta died in one month and my friend's red betta died in two months. I'm just wonder why most red bettas died?
QueenPersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

colour has nothing to do with them dying.

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Angelclown

It is the care that they are given. Plus if you bought at the pet store, you could have bought a sick fish without realizing it as fish can harbor illness until stress sets in and BAM they get sick and often die. I had my doubletail betta for a year or two before he died. So it is the care that you give the betta and if you are on top of diseases at the earliest possible moment, that tells whether or not a betta or any fish survives.
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
QueenPersephone

Originally Posted by Angelclown View Post
I had my doubletail betta for a year or two before he died. So it is the care that you give the betta and if you are on top of diseases at the earliest possible moment, that tells whether or not a betta or any fish survives.
Was your doubletail betta a red colour?
QueenPersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Angelclown

Yes but that doesn't have anything to do with why he died. I didn't do my water changes like I was supposed to and ammonia built up too high for him to handle. I did feed him every day and fast him once a week though. I should have taken better care of him.

Bettas live about 3 years, 5 or more if they are taken care of really well.

Point is a betta's color has nothing to do with why a betta dies. It has to do with the care the betta is being given. Sometimes you can do everything right and the betta stills dies young, it could be because of disease or the way they are being cared for.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Jhynnifer

I won't disagree about anything said here, it almost always comes down to how well you take care of the betta.

That having been said. I currently have two bettas... a veiltail and a halfmoon. I keep a 2.5 gallon tank and a 6gallon fluval. Both tanks are properly heated, filtered and water changes are done on a regular basis. Despite all of this, the halfmoon almost ALWAYS has some kind of issue with his fins where as the veiltail is perfectly fine.
I have gone so far as to switch tanks (thinking something in the fluval was causing the issue) and after two months the veiltail is still healthy and happy and the halfmoon still has fin isses.

Some bettas are just more difficult to take care of.
Jhynnifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Halfmoons are harder to care for than other bettas. Plakats are the easiest and most hardy. Veiltails are a close second.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Angelclown

Originally Posted by Jhynnifer View Post
I won't disagree about anything said here, it almost always comes down to how well you take care of the betta.

That having been said. I currently have two bettas... a veiltail and a halfmoon. I keep a 2.5 gallon tank and a 6gallon fluval. Both tanks are properly heated, filtered and water changes are done on a regular basis. Despite all of this, the halfmoon almost ALWAYS has some kind of issue with his fins where as the veiltail is perfectly fine.
I have gone so far as to switch tanks (thinking something in the fluval was causing the issue) and after two months the veiltail is still healthy and happy and the halfmoon still has fin isses.

Some bettas are just more difficult to take care of.
I agree that some bettas are harder to take care of than others. When my halfmoon was alive, he was only sick once, and that was with ich.

Have you tested your water, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Although pH won't be an issue, but the other three are. If they are out of balance then that could be why your halfmoon betta is getting sick.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
emc7

Color shouldn't matter but it is possible that all the red bettas in an area came from the same breeder. In that case they could be carrying the same illness, the same genetic defect, or be a strain that is susceptible to a certain illness, that happens to kill them all when it goes around. Or it could be something more subtle like a bad batch of "for red betta" food.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Jhynnifer

Originally Posted by Angelclown View Post
I agree that some bettas are harder to take care of than others. When my halfmoon was alive, he was only sick once, and that was with ich.

Have you tested your water, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Although pH won't be an issue, but the other three are. If they are out of balance then that could be why your halfmoon betta is getting sick.
I check these 2-3 times a week and do water changes accordingly. He was a rescue betta from petsmart about 6 months ago. The poor thing had fin rot then and was barely alive when I brought him home. He's doing better now... but regardless of how closely I regulate the water his fins are always showing signs of wear. Not fin rot per say, but often I'll see tears or holes despite there being nothing in the tank that I could conceivably see him tearing his fins on.

He does seem to have an affinity for trying to jump and swim into the filter so I've finally moved it high enough that even he can't jump into it... but I don't think that was the problem.
Jhynnifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
MauimoBetta

color does not matter! i use a indian almond leaf as a acclimator and regular water changes. never had any problems with any of my HM bettas.
MauimoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement