Too many Chiefs! - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Bettas

Bettas Discussions about Betta Splendens

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
lohachata
Super Moderator

i must agree that betta fry are nowhere near the most difficult fry to raise..i am by no means a betta expert ; but i have raised thousands of them with very little problem..but i have and still do keep and breed several species that are far more difficult to rear...many of the loricaridae species are much more difficult..as well as many tetras and rasboras,some species of gouramies and rainbows too..compared to them bettas are a snap..
i also agree that absolute dedication and preparation are critical..having 1 extra tank and food like hikari first bites is not "prepared"...

if i give information or advice on something , it is coming from my own personal experiences and not from what i heard from a source that i don't personally know as one that is valid.
and i also agree that it is an absolute fact that what works for one may not work for another..i have done a lot of crazy stuff with fish in the last 40 years..stuff that i would not suggest for others to try.
i remember having a conversation many years ago with Paul Loiselle about bettas and the quest to develop a pure green line...no black scale edges..or head..just a pure emerald green....he said that that was probably going to next to impossible to do....he was right as i have yet to see one....we talked about the genetics of bettas and ways to achieve certain desired traits and it came down to the fact that the ability to predict exactly what will come out of a spawn of bettas is not possible....the keeping and breeding is easy..raising the fry is easy....knowing what is coming is not....predictability is only a small percentage..the best we can do is take good care of our fish and enjoy them..study them and learn from them...and perhaps one day somebody will develop that pure green betta....and become rich..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
Betta man
King of the Bettas

If you read my post, I said some of the hardest fw fry to raise. The aren't the hardest, but they are hard. I think that if someone wanted to develop a green betta, they should breed splendens with smaragdina. Wildforfish, I have talked with several breeders who say bettas are tricky fish. One of my big arguments was about amputating part of the fins on a betta. I successfully did this with direction and was saying my personnel experience. Friendly fishies, when you disagreed with me, I did not feel offended. You are very polite and nice. Bullsyejoey, have you ever been a member of another forum? They have no flaming rules, some have rules that if a mod flames, he or she will be banned. If the people there disagree with you, they say it politely and respectfully. I am a member of two of those forums, and those forums get loyalty from their members. Forums that allow flamers only damage themselves.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #18
Chard56

Green? I grew up with nothing but Green, Red or Blue Bettas. I found a Yellow one I thought was an albino but it was just a dull non-iredescent Yellow. I did get a Brown one out of his spawn though. Not the Chocolates we have today. It was just Brown. I get Green Bettas almost everytime I crossbreed colors. Maybe they've been crossed with Blue, Steel and Royal Blue so much over the years the color genes have combined to make the Turquoise that's so common. Now Purple, that was something I get excited about. I had some dark Purple bodied fry show up in a spawn 4 years ago and have been working on them ever since. Getting rich,.... not likely. Getting credit for developing the color,....hopefully. Seeing their color enhance with every generation (and getting 18 to 25 bucks apiece) .....priceless!
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
weedkiller

i see a red betta couple of weeks ago, gotta admit it looked a beauty, it was a deep blood red, crimson red i suppose you would call it.. if i didnt have the tetras in the smaller tank i would have got him there and then
like you say the more common i see are purple in colour or blue, everyone seems to have them
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Angelclown

Chard56: what colors are not as common as the others? I know red and blue are common, but what about the other colors?
Angelclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
Chard56

I'm talking about a true breeding Purple strain of Betta, not an occassional Purplish, or Purpley colored one. Other than my Purple line I don't know of anyone in the known universe that has one. I get a lot of inquiries asking if I have White, Black; Purple or the so called Fancy multi-colored Dragon types. The "holy grail" White Halfmoons must be hard to maintain or they wouldn't get $100 on Aquabid for them. I bought one at Petco a few weeks ago (not for $100) and put him in a spawning tank with one of my pale White/Green Pastels. I don't think any color is really rare except Albinos. Popular colors I get asked for I try to accomodate by getting that color and seeing how the offspring sell. Black Orchid, anything Black; Orange, Yellow; White and MG. Purple and Dragon all sell well along with the Marbles and Butterflies.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Originally Posted by Chard56 View Post
I'm talking about a true breeding Purple strain of Betta, not an occassional Purplish, or Purpley colored one. Other than my Purple line I don't know of anyone in the known universe that has one. I get a lot of inquiries asking if I have White, Black; Purple or the so called Fancy multi-colored Dragon types. The "holy grail" White Halfmoons must be hard to maintain or they wouldn't get $100 on Aquabid for them. I bought one at Petco a few weeks ago (not for $100) and put him in a spawning tank with one of my pale White/Green Pastels. I don't think any color is really rare except Albinos. Popular colors I get asked for I try to accomodate by getting that color and seeing how the offspring sell. Black Orchid, anything Black; Orange, Yellow; White and MG. Purple and Dragon all sell well along with the Marbles and Butterflies.
Petco has been having trouble with its fish having mycro which is a relative of tuberculosis. I would be really careful with that fish if I was you. Their farm is infected from what I hear.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
Angelclown

Thank you Chard56. I miss my halfmoon that I had, he was read and blue, but when I took a picture of him he looked purple. I would like to have a good healthy halfmoon betta, the color I would like to get a really pretty teal. Chard56: have you ever seen a teal betta, or get one from one of your spawns?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
lohachata
Super Moderator

kind of strange......i haven't seen anything like mycro ; nor have i heard anything about petco having troubles with it...99% of all the bettas are actually quite healthy..there are always at least 50 in stock at all times..maybe you have some kind of inside line to the petco farms......
chard...i'm not talking about kind of green..or them having any other colors..no other colors on the ventrals or pectoral..no black head..no black edging on the scales or fins...
nothing but pure emerald green from nose to tail...i have to see one and am pretty sure they do not exist.
in my opinion a great many colors around today are really ugly...but breeders don't want to have to cull ugly fish..it would cost them too much money...so they come up with some kind of name and hype the daylights out of it...i just can't understand how or why some halfwitted twit would name a betta color "musdtard gas"..kinda sick to me..

angel.....teal is a bird......lol

10 gallon...stale air

Last edited by lohachata; 01-01-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #25
Angelclown

Lohachata: here is a link that says that teal is a color

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal

The color I like is teal blue.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #26
Obsidian
Administrator

As an admin I have one piece to add, non Betta related.

I do not feel it is my job to assert that what someone says is invalid, stupid, or otherwise stem the flow of their knowledge, be it good, bad or indifferent. In a thread the correct information will come out the vast majority of the time.

It is not my job to tell someone to be soft or sweet with their words. People get passionate- passion is good. When it goes into the realm of now you are just outright being mean we do step in if it goes on for any length. We do not delete the mean threads, but we will close them. The reason we do not delete is because in the middle of all of the people getting off track- there is also really good information being exchanged in other answers. I have on occasion had to edit threads to rid them of the more ridiculous statements, but frankly if I have to go through that kind of effort then the thread just needs to be closed. I warn before I close.

We have had repeat offenders and we have dealt with them. That has included moderators at times. Overall though we look at this as a place for free information where people are able to handle what is being said, because the vast majority are big boys and girls who know how to handle disagreements, when to take something personally and when not to.

It's a forum, that means discussion- and we let people discuss.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
emc7

If I see something I disagree with or I think is unclear, I tend to jump in. I try not to insult people. You can say you disagree with out saying someone is "always wrong" or is an idiot.

Just be nice. If you can't say anything nice or useful, don't say anything at all.

If there is someone you just can't stand (I've had a few), you can add them to the "ignore list" and never see another of their posts. It can be a little confusing if you don't know what people are responding to, but can be worth it for the aggravation saved.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #28
weedkiller

Hear Hear!
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #29
emc7

After further review, I think it's myco, not mycro. Any Petco's here are good here, too. I think their fish from FA are as healthy as you can hope from a chain.

Considering how global the fish supplies are, you can't trust any new fish. Always QT everything. Always.

I always figured the chain store bettas were the "culls". That someone buys up thumbnail sized rejects and rears them by the thousands.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #30
lohachata
Super Moderator

what i am seeing now that i had never seen before in my years in the hobby is the sale of baby bettas.....the store i work at has quite a few of them..and i believe that they are the same price as the adults....which means major profits all the way around...for the breeder...selling his fish at 4-6 weeks old instead of have to house and then sort for 5 or 6 months.....and chains like petco pay only pennies per fish.....much the same as angelfish..when i was breeding the young were kept for about 3 months old or quarter sized bodies....now they are sold at 6 weeks and dime sized bodies..

emc.....i had never heard it called mycro or myco...only as fish TB...lol....but i know a couple of members of our club that had it...not a pretty thing...

angel.......i was teasing....lol

10 gallon...stale air

Last edited by lohachata; 01-02-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement