Fin Rot help! - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Bettas

Bettas Discussions about Betta Splendens

Old 02-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #16
Obsidian
Administrator

An explanation of what these products are:

"The oil of the humble tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia), one of the great survivors in Australia's harsh climate, is widely used as a medication, although there have been few proper clinical trials to confirm its efficacy.

The only place M.alternifolia occurs naturally is in a relatively small area of northern New South Wales. But there are already a number of plantations producing about 100 tonnes of tea tree oil annually, which is sold to companies that include it in a wide range of products - shampoos, hair conditioners, soap, cream, gel, lotions, even toothpaste. It is also included in liniments, foot balms, insect repellents and germicides.

University of Western Australia microbiologist Dr Tom Riley, and PhD student Christina Carson have found that the oil will kill many bacteria present in a number of common infections, including some of the staphylococcus and streptococcus bacteria. There are also unconfirmed reports that it is effective against cold sores and herpes. Like eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil should not be administered orally.

Dr Riley is confident that tea tree oil is effective as an antiseptic and disinfectant, useful for minor cuts and abrasions, and as it penetrates the skin it is effective for complaints such as acne. It is also believed to have been successfully employed in treating vaginal infections.

Tea tree oil has been used on a small scale as a medication ever since European settlement more than two centuries ago. Aborigines used it - in a non-processed form - as a treatment for headaches, other pain, colds and as an insect repellent."

Information above is from The Melaleuca Page.

MelaFix - MelaFix is 1.0% Melaleuca. It is the more concentrated, or stronger, of the two remedies.

BettaFix - BettaFix is 0.2% Melaleuca. It is less concentrated than Melafix, by 80%. This means for every one drop of Melafix, you would need 5 drops of BettaFix to get the same amount of Melaleuca.

PimaFix is a natural botanical remedy made from Pimenta racemosa Pimenta racemosa (West Indian Bay) oil, providing unique active compounds, which harmoniously work together to attack fish diseases. The active compounds found in Pimenta racemosa not only provide many different modes of action, but also eliminate the possibility of the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms. Until now, most antifungal medications resulted in unsightly water discoloration throughout the course of therapy.

PimaFix does not have this disadvantage, providing better viewing of fish during treatment. Treating with PimaFix will not harm the biological filter in freshwater or saltwater aquariums or ponds. PimaFix has no effect on pH. PimaFix is harmless to aquatic plants.

In extreme cases of especially stubborn infections, PimaFix has been designed to work synergistically with MelaFix. Using PimaFix and MelaFix together provides the added benefit of quick tissue regeneration and wound healing.

PimaFix information came from their company page, as posted elsewhere that I found.

The question at hand is if the oil does or does not harm the labyrinth organ. I know that it has been used for years with Betta's by thousands without a problem. I also know that others have experienced fish death with it. For "me" and my own practices I can't say I would use it because of the potential for harm, based solely on anecdotal information. At least now there is an explanation of what it is for those who are Betta/Mela/Pima-Fix impaired

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #17
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Hikari freeze dried bloodworms "feed your fish the amount it can eat within a few minutes" It also says "feed up to 3 times daily". Directions are misleading.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
lohachata
Super Moderator

why misleading..most of our fish get fed 3-4 times a day..and the fry as many as 6 times a day...
although i rarely use bloodworms because they can cause some digestion issues in some species..i never use freezedried..only frozen...i am violently allergic to them and if i happen to inhale any of the dust from them i will wind up in the hospital...
i shouldn't have said that...now betta man is going to send me an envelop full of bloodworm dust...lol

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Sent Via USPS airdrop. Hope it gets there soon! Anyways, as much as the fish can eat in a few minutes is enough to bloat them.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #20
Trout

Girls, you're both pretty. Perhaps the more prudent course of action is to recommend what you think will work best and then let the poster of this thread decide which to use.

10 gallon setup:
1 Julii Cory
3 pearl danios
2 Japanese Algae Eater Shrimp
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
Chard56

Thank you for the belly laugh Trout!
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #22
Angelclown

Originally Posted by chard56 View Post
thank you for the belly laugh trout!
+1
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #23
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Girls, you're both pretty. Perhaps the more prudent course of action is to recommend what you think will work best and then let the poster of this thread decide which to use.
Keep talking... I always yawn when I'm interested.

Anyways, melefix is not good for bettas. I have spoken with many people who agree with me.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Chard56

After the third time (5 years ago) of using Bettafix it dawned on me that the only logical explaination for three Bettas dying soon after treatment was the Bettafix. Gasping at the surface like they were suffocating it was the only reasonable deduction. I recently ran out of what works great for me. I don't know what company makes it but it was tank buddies fungus cure. A carded pill form I got from my brother. I have thrown the cardboard away and crushed the pills into powder form and kept in a glass bottle like the 6 gram size BBS egss come in. If anyone knows how I can get more I'd love to hear.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #25
Chard56

After doing some reaserch I found out that many ich medications can also be used to treat fungus, mouth rot, fin rot and dropsy. Since I'm out of fungus cure and I have three Bettas with a fin rot thing going on I'll give it a try.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Angelclown

Chard56: rid-ich plus would be your best bet. There is an anti fungus med out there that will take care of fin rot. It is by API and is called Anti-fungus. I have used ich meds when halfmoon had ich and he didn't get it again.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
lohachata
Super Moderator

formalin is also good for treating fungus and finrot...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Just make sure it doesn't have malachite green in it.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
Angelclown

Evidence Betta man. Malachite green is very effective against diseases.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #30
Betta man
King of the Bettas

Evidence Angelclown. Deadly, teratogen (alters DNA), and respiratory poison. It's also suspected of being a carcinogen (I'm not putting my beloved fishes in with the stuff). Small fish are very sensitive to malachite green. If you don't believe me, maybe you will believe this site and its resources.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/malachitegreen.htm
Why use it when methylene blue does almost the same thing, better, and safer? I had a fish with finrot in malachite green meds and it did absolutely nothing. I noticed no difference and the fin rot killed the fish.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement