Breeding Mosquito fish with Guppies - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Breeding Freshwater Fish

Breeding Freshwater Fish Find out the different ways on breeding freshwater fish.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
happykitsune

Default Breeding Mosquito fish with Guppies

I have a ton of mosquito fish (20+) and I'm getting ready to breed them with guppies for to see what comes out of it. Just a little experiment for fun along with my biosphere jar and my triops experiments. I just love experimenting.

All fry I cant keep will go to my local stream or to friends and family.

If anyone has any HELPFUL info on these mosquito fish guppy hybrids and/ or pictures, please post here. Thanx
happykitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
emc7

All fry I cant keep will go to my local stream
No, this is wrong and illegal in most places.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Ice Prince

yea dont let them (or any fish) go anywhere in the wild because its illegal. dont give away any hybrids many people are against hybrids because they want to keep strains pure.

Last edited by Ice Prince; 09-23-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Ice Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
mesapod

Dont mosquito fish come from the US, so what if happykitsune collected them from the wild?
10 gallon planted tank-3x guppies
30 gallon-5x White Clouds-4x Otos
53 gallon tank -5x neon tetras-6x Cherry Barbs-2x Peppered Cories
mesapod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Ice Prince

he said the ones he cant keep he will let go in a stream
Ice Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
emc7

Even if you catch fish in your back yard and keep them in your house for a week, don't release them back in wild. You can introduce exotic diseases, parasites, snails, plants, etc. that have the potential to harm the ecosystem. The practice of dumping unwanted exotics give fishkeepers a bad name and encourage additional regulation. If you want to be able to import fish from all over the world without excessive taxes or quarantines, discourage anyone you know from dumping anything from an aquarium into the wild. A closed pond on your own property that, if necessary, could be sterilized may be ok, a stream is never ok.

Mosquito fish have been introduced all over, and while they do help reduce mosquito larva populations in stagnant, otherwise sterile bodies of water, such as retention ponds, they have caused harm when they have escaped into the larger watershed. See wikipedia: gambusia Affinis. Most any fish will eat mosquito larva and native fish would have been a better choice for mosquito control. Hybrids are especially bad if they can interbreed with local fish and destroy species.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
happykitsune

It'll look into the illegal thing, but as for people not wanting hybrids. Idk who you give your fish to, but these ppl dont care what the fish is as long as they have a pet so I promise you they wont have a hissy fit if i give them one because they arent planning to breed.

Originally Posted by Ice Prince
yea dont let them (or any fish) go anywhere in the wild because its illegal. dont give away any hybrids many people are against hybrids because they want to keep strains pure.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
happykitsune

This brings up a good point. Thank you for the insight. I know now I will only give these fish to my friends and family as pets. Thanx once again.

Originally Posted by emc7
Even if you catch fish in your back yard and keep them in your house for a week, don't release them back in wild. You can introduce exotic diseases, parasites, snails, plants, etc. that have the potential to harm the ecosystem. The practice of dumping unwanted exotics give fishkeepers a bad name and encourage additional regulation. If you want to be able to import fish from all over the world without excessive taxes or quarantines, discourage anyone you know from dumping anything from an aquarium into the wild. A closed pond on your own property that, if necessary, could be sterilized may be ok, a stream is never ok.

Mosquito fish have been introduced all over, and while they do help reduce mosquito larva populations in stagnant, otherwise sterile bodies of water, such as retention ponds, they have caused harm when they have escaped into the larger watershed. See wikipedia: gambusia Affinis. Most any fish will eat mosquito larva and native fish would have been a better choice for mosquito control. Hybrids are especially bad if they can interbreed with local fish and destroy species.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
happykitsune

Originally Posted by mesapod
Dont mosquito fish come from the US, so what if happykitsune collected them from the wild?
Yeah I did catch them in my local stream, and im not a he I'm a she XD
Old 09-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Clerk
I Left w/ My Krew

Originally Posted by happykitsune
Yeah I did catch them in my local stream, and im not a he I'm a she XD

Even if you had caught them from a local stream if you had hybridized them, its a different fish.

By federal law, once you take something, you legally can never return it to the wild. (exceptions are catch and release fishing (which is fairly fast)/rehabbing)
20 Gallon - High-Light Planted Breeder
29 Gallon - Newt
Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #11
happykitsune

Originally Posted by Clerk
Even if you had caught them from a local stream if you had hybridized them, its a different fish.

By federal law, once you take something, you legally can never return it to the wild. (exceptions are catch and release fishing (which is fairly fast)/rehabbing)
This comment wasn't needed as we already addressed this problem and I am no longer taking this form of action. Please give me some information I can actually use. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
jones57742

Originally Posted by emc7
Mosquito fish have been introduced all over, and while they do help reduce mosquito larva populations in stagnant, otherwise sterile bodies of water, such as retention ponds, ...
Ditto this one

but this goes on to what would be believed to be absolutely innocuous included but not limited to:
tertiary polishing ponds at domestic wastewater treatment facilities;
very, very large holding ponds where the inflow is generated by the effluent of domestic wastewater treatment facilities as well from other reservoirs where yearly dampening is efficient;
pools upstream from dams which become stagnant, although not oxygen deprived during summer months;
etc.

There are probably many more examples in addition to emc's and mine but which I cannot currently recite.

TR
Old 09-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Okay, no release. Got that covered.
So, useful info, eh?

Guppies and Gambusias will interbreed with some difficulty. The Mosquitofish are vicious mean and nasty, and tend to rip the guppies to shreds, but sometimes there are survivors that end up pregnant.
The size of the modern guppy is actually due in part to mosquito crossing. The wild guppy is a tiny little thing, but several decades ago they were crossed with gambusias, resulting in the much lager domestic guppy we know and love.
If you should cross them again, then know up front that you won't like what you get. You'll have an ugly, mean little fish with lots of black spotting and very little color. It will take several generations of work before your lines start o look like decent guppies again, and by then you'll probably breed out most of what you got from adding the gambusia genes in the first place.

Your plan is perfectly doable, but there's really not much point in doing it except for the novelty of it, which is fine.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #14
happykitsune

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt
Okay, no release. Got that covered.
So, useful info, eh?

Guppies and Gambusias will interbreed with some difficulty. The Mosquitofish are vicious mean and nasty, and tend to rip the guppies to shreds, but sometimes there are survivors that end up pregnant.
The size of the modern guppy is actually due in part to mosquito crossing. The wild guppy is a tiny little thing, but several decades ago they were crossed with gambusias, resulting in the much lager domestic guppy we know and love.
If you should cross them again, then know up front that you won't like what you get. You'll have an ugly, mean little fish with lots of black spotting and very little color. It will take several generations of work before your lines start o look like decent guppies again, and by then you'll probably breed out most of what you got from adding the gambusia genes in the first place.

Your plan is perfectly doable, but there's really not much point in doing it except for the novelty of it, which is fine.
Honestly, I like the look of the mosquito fish, so adding very little color when I cross breed them wont phase me a bit. What I'm looking to get in the fish is the endurance and hardiness in mosquito fish. Color is nice, but I'd rather breed to create a fish i can enjoy and not have to constantly make sure its not going to kill over (not saying guppies always do) but it would be nice to keep the fish in a tank without heating to make keeping them much easier.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #15
doggydad38

Personally, I have never heard of Gambusias and Guppies ever having been crossed. Two different genera. If you were successful in crossing the two, I would suspect the hybrids would be sterile, donkey x horse= mule. I have to disagree with you, Old Salt, on the size increase in Guppies. Increased size came from the dilligence and hard work of early breeders like Paul Hahnel and his contemporaries. Just my opinion.
Tony
doggydad38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement