Cross-breeding oscars & goldfish?????? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Breeding Freshwater Fish

Breeding Freshwater Fish Find out the different ways on breeding freshwater fish.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
Inspector___Dav

Unhappy Cross-breeding oscars & goldfish??????

In my mind this sounds crazy but I dunno I just started in this great hobby but the guy at petsmart was telling me that you can cross-breed an oscar with a goldfish. He said it's easily done and alot of people doit . Ok I'm thinking this guy is a little off but since I'm new to this hobby I just wanted to ask the guys and gals who know??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Cichlid Man
Fish Executive

It's impossible. Cichlids and carp are sexually incompatable.
If you are telling the truth (which I doubt you are), then that LFS guy has either no experience in fish, or is having you on.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #3
Georgia Peach

thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard....

Cichlids have more personality than most people I know !
Georgia Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
wildtiger
"Salmon Free!"

I would have to agree, thats it's not possible. TBH I've never heard of Oscars crossing with anything.
wildtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Inspector___Dav

Well that's what I thought but the guy told me that and cichlidman I'm not just makin this up. I even said to the guy wouldn't the oscar kilkl the goldfish pretty quick and he said well it's gotta be a really big one. But they are still to peacful for an oscar no matter the size. I dunno what was up with this guy.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 AM   #6
wildtiger
"Salmon Free!"

I think he was just pullin your leg. You know us Texans like to tell tall tales.

Whoops I'm not a Texan anymore, but I'm a native Texan.
wildtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Georgia Peach

lol Wildtiger - it definately sounds like a tall tale to me!

Old 11-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Cichlid Man
Fish Executive

Really? Well if I was you, next time you go back to the shop tell him what you think about his idea.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Georgia Peach

Lol Cm, Lfs Fos

Old 11-07-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

The guy works at petsmart. Of course he's a moron. Duh!
(hehheh..jk Paul)
Who knows? He might actually believe it. Sad, eh?
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #11
Inspector___Dav

Yeah well I thougt I was right just wanted to check since I'm no pro. But the sad thing is he wasn't jokin or atleast it didn't seem that way at all but it seemed like he was serious must have been a real dumbass
Old 11-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #12
solar-ton
guardian of the sea

just to make this clear to everyone oscars are in the genus astronotus and there arent that many other fish common in the hobby to cross with them. goldfish are in the genus carassius (atleast the common ones anyway). so for soemthing to even have a remote chance of crossing they would have to be in the same genus i think there is a very small chance theyll do it if theyre in the same family but i doubt that... goldfish come from all the way around the world and that would never happen in the wild whoever that guy was mustve dropped out of middle-school to be that stupid they teach you this stuff in the 8th grade!!!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:44 PM   #13
fishboy
Enigma

people at petsmart are mostly idiots, i asked them if they sold ammonia to aid a fishless cycle and they said that fish make ammonia and it's always in the tank so i shouldn't add more of it or my tank will be "off balence". Then i asked them if they had Bio-Spira and the girl said that they had stability which is a mixture of bio-spria and cycle in a bottle which was better then regular bio-spira. I got out of their before i got into a argument. It pissed me off when i tryed to explain a fishless cycle and she rolled her eyes and said, "Well, if you think you're an expert." Don't trust em or ask them a question that you know the answer to like, "Will a pleco be okay in a 20 gallon with my goldfish?" then you can judge them
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #14
garfieldnfish

I know this is off the subject a little, even so I know goldfish and oscars won't have babies together. Heck, the oscar would rather eat the goldfish then get romantic in any way with him/her.
But what the people/experts in LFS/chain pet stores in general tell you could make your hair stand on end. There has been so many times I either just walked away, shaking my head and hoping for the best for the fish and people that bought them or where it got so bad I had to open my mouth (always a bad thing, lol). My 11 year old daughter has gotten so upset with me many times because I had to intervene, like when I saw a goldfish sold to go into a 10 gal tank with a Chinese Algae eater, etc.
But I do have 2 stores close to me where the employees know most of the basics and at the salary they are paid, you really can't expect a marine biologist to advise you. I am very happy to go to those two stores and ask them for advice, but to be honest, I still check the internet after what they say before I buy the fish. It's best to go to the fish stores knowing what you want and do your research first before you buy.
garfieldnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #15
amelia
the ami

-chuckles- this is really very funny. I've been keeping fish most of my life, and I went into walmart to gawk at the poor little koi fish.. (I can't help but bring one home every now and then.. they all deserve a chance.) A man came up and started talking to a guy who was dipping dead fish out of tanks, asking about how big koi fish and goldfish get. I butted in before the wal-mart employee could answer (This is the same one that couldn't run a python a few months back), going on about everything from basic aquarium setup to the size different kinds of fancy and common/comet goldfish and koi got, how they put off so much ammonia, the correct filtration, etc. The man was quick to "correct me" saying that a goldfish could live in a bowl and be okay, that you didn't need to change the water but once a month and that filtration was not needed. He said that the goldfish would grow to the size of the bowl it was in so it would never need an upgrade. He also went on to say that koi did fine in ten gallon aquariums all their lives and that goldfish life expectancy was only 3-5 years. PPPPFFFFTTT. Needless to say, the man listened to the wal-mart employee, commenting something about "what does a teenager know anyway. you don't work with the fish."

I could only walk away and shake my head at this. T____T idiodic people. As for goldfish and plecos--It can be done. XD I've got an 8 inch pleco with my goldfish in a 55 gallon and a 3 inch pleco in a 10 gallon (temporary) with 3 inch koi fish and tinsy shubunkin goldfish. As long as the tank is big enough and the water stays room temperature (and your house is neither an igloo nor a hut in the desert) it's really not hard to keep the two together.. I know many people are against the idea, but I've never had problems with Plecos in coldwater tanks before so.. hummm...

Employees are paid low wages to tell people what they want to hear. end of story.

--unstoppablegeneration--

They write [s]about[/s] this sort of thing.

GOLDFISH & KOI
- 2 red/white ryukin
- 5 comet
- 12 common
- 2 shubunkin
- 4 koi

CATFISH
- 2 common plecostomus
- 1 rubber nose plecostomus
- 3 albino cory catfish

OTHER
- 78 guppies