Albino longfin bristlenose pleco - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers

Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers Discussions about freshwater catfishes and loaches.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
CaysE
Stowaway Winner

Default Albino longfin bristlenose pleco

Hi everyone... I just got an albino longfin bristlenose pleco for my 20 gallon tank, as I understand they only get about 4-5 inches long. I'll have some pics sometime soon, but I'm curious what the scientific name is, and if it has an L number?

Also, any stories about these little guys? Tips?
5gal hex! Mini planted tank
Eclipse Hex5 with Eco-Complete substrate, 25W heater, 1 male crowntail betta, some ramshorn and physa snails.
CaysE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Chaos553
Gankeddd

The scientific name I believe is Ancistrus Dolichopterus and the only number that I seemed to find online was L-144, even though it was just for Bristlenose Plecos in general. Hope that helps, and btw, how much did you pay for it?
Chaos553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
pleco_breeder

Hello,

It is likely that the common types of bristlenose that are commercially bred, to include albino, red, common, dwarf, etc... are a mix of species that have been crossed from imports for years. L144 is actually a wild strain with a deep yellow and dark eyes and is also being added to this line of hybridization to create long fin types. The accepted name for these fish is Ancistrus sp. 3

The labeling of all tank strains as L144 was started by a sales site, Fosters & Smith, a couple years ago. This oversight by people that obviously don't know what they are talking about has caused all sorts of trouble with labeling as they are placing a number on a fish just to make it seem that it's something that it obviously is not.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't stand it when people go messing with L numbers like this. There's enough confusion amongst newbies to catfish as it is, and it doesn't need somebody else murking up the waters.

Larry Vires

Find out what I've been doing
pleco_breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Chaos553
Gankeddd

That's pretty interesting Larry. Even though I'm not one to listen to ranting, I actually found that very informative. Thanks =P
Chaos553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
CaysE
Stowaway Winner

It was about $15. Here's a pic in my 20 gallon tall:

5gal hex! Mini planted tank
Eclipse Hex5 with Eco-Complete substrate, 25W heater, 1 male crowntail betta, some ramshorn and physa snails.
CaysE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement