POLL: Best Bottom Dwellers to Compliment Rainbows - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers

Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers Discussions about freshwater catfishes and loaches.

View Poll Results: Which is the best bottom dweller(s) to compliment Rainbowfish?
School of 5 loaches (Probably Polka Dot Loaches) 6 75.00%
Black Red Tailed Shark 0 0%
Bristlenose Pleco 2 25.00%
OTHER (Please specify below) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Canadian Fish

Arrow POLL: Best Bottom Dwellers to Compliment Rainbows

Hi, my 55 gallon tank is currently home to some 6 Red Irian and 4 Lake Kutubu Rainbowfish, as well as some Platies and Zebra Danios.

Eventually I plan to move the danios and some if not all of the platies into my 20 gallon tank, and then I plan to add some bottom feeders.

These are what I am considering:

Zebra, Polka Dot, or Yo Yo loaches. Leaning toward Polka Dot loaches at the moment, probably a group of 5.

OR

Black Red Tailed Shark. Yes, they're territorial, but can anyone deny they look cool patrolling the bottom of a tank? Right now the bottom of my tank is practically empty. The Rainbows and Danios hardly ever go down there, and there are lots of hiding places (fake log, natural caves made from driftwood, fake plants) so maybe it could work? I realize it's hit or miss with RTS and some are just ornery regardless of these conditions.

OR

Bristlenose Pleco. Kind of boring compared to a fun school of loaches or a cool Red Tailed Shark.

Basically, the mid to top of my tank is busy now, but the bottom of my tank needs some action (preferably not just nocturnal action). Opinions? Thanks everyone!
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

ok...i just gotta ask.....why do you need a poll ???

it is your tank...your money...your choice...
if i told you what to get and you got them and then decided that you didn't like them you would be mad at me for telling you to get something you didn't like...

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Canadian Fish

Originally Posted by lohachata View Post
ok...i just gotta ask.....why do you need a poll ???

it is your tank...your money...your choice...
if i told you what to get and you got them and then decided that you didn't like them you would be mad at me for telling you to get something you didn't like...
If I've never owned a fish, how else will I know their behaviors if I don't ask others? I can read 6 different profiles and they can all conflict. I'm hoping this poll will start a conversation along the lines of...

"Well, my RTS gets along (or doesn't) with Rainbows" OR
"My loaches do (or do not) come out during the day", etc.

If I don't ask there's a better chance of buying a fish I know nothing about and not liking it.

I have to ask you, what is the point of a forum, if not to ask for others opinions and advice? What are you even doing here? There's really no point in a forum if everyone already knows everything, and if other people's opinions are pointless. Why click on a message labelled poll and bother responding if you don't have anything constructive to offer?

I was shocked to see you are a moderator. Way to drive newbies away to other forums. I've posted this poll in other forums and gotten constructive feedback from fish owners. Imagine. Guess I'll just stick to those sites. I barely get replies here anyway, probably because everyone was moderated elsewhere.

Last edited by Canadian Fish; 03-26-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Canadian Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
lohachata
Super Moderator

gosh..you sure take offense easily..you see ; a lot of people post polls just to see if others agree with their ideas..and have no intentions of following anybody's advice or recommendations..
i could tell you all i know about the fish you asked about ; but if you had a different opinion about them would my input affect your current opinion...
i can sit and talk fish all day..give all kinds of advice...toss out lots of ideas..but at the end of the day it all comes down to you doing what you want to do..
you are already leaning heavily towards loaches and a red tail shark..i would suggest 6-8 polka dot loaches...but i think you are pretty much sold on the RTS..
while i may give folks a little bit of a hard time now and then ; i am probably one of the nicest people you will ever encounter in this hobby..
i certainly wasn't trying to discourage you from harvesting opinions from folks or from engaging in conversations on specific topics.....i was just wondering about why one would put up a poll....

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
hXcChic22
Loach Lover

I think loaches have a lot more personality than other bottom-dwellers, so I voted for them. We have a tank that is based on loaches, with some shoaling fish, only to bring life to the midwater region. They are more entertaining to watch than plecos, other catfish, or even sharks.
But that's just my opinion

Romans 10:17, Mark 16:16, Acts 17:30, Acts 8:35-38, Acts 2:38 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Tanks:

40 breeder - tons of Loaches, White Cloud Minnows, Clown Pleco
10 community - Kuhli loaches, feeder Guppies, pond snails
hXcChic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
AquariumTech

Your choice man, your fish tank is like your canvas (assuming you are properly caring for the life thats in there) so do what feels right. Personally though I just freakin love loaches.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
iheartfish:)
I heart N. Multifasciatus

Loha... leave the first posts to nicer people Don't mind him, he is always like this. He gets fun after a while, though.

Yes, I might chronically overstock...
Yes, I might already be planning my next five tanks...
Yes, a few of my life goals involve fish...
Yes, I am building my fifth tank...
No, I do not have a problem.
iheartfish:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
Ponera
Herp Derp Pretty Fish

Guy is just asking for opinions and obviously chose his favorites on the poll. Don't get a shark, do the loaches. I suggest yo-yo loaches as in my experience they have been the most entertaining. You can also mix it up a bit, do a few polka dots, some yo yo, a dojo or two and maybe a clown.

Bristlenose plecos aren't strictly a bottom dweller, they fly around eating algae and all kinds of things. They can be added in addition to what you are thinking.

Have you considered corydoras? I love panda corys, though there are many types. They are bottom dwellers and they are rather adorable. Additionally, you could mix a loach or two and then some corys. There are many options, as rainbows (again, in my experience) ignore the bottom.

Last edited by Ponera; 03-30-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Ponera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
mjalex007

Plecos are very complimentary. They say the nicest things to just about every other fish. They complement a variety of fish too.
mjalex007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
emc7

I think lohachata has a lot more personality than other bottom-dwellers
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
lohachata
Super Moderator

why thank you emc......lol