Corydoras Poisoning - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers

Catfish & Other Bottom Dwellers Discussions about freshwater catfishes and loaches.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

Default Corydoras Poisoning

Hello all,
As most of you know, I began my new job at the LFS hear in Grand Rapids, MI. All is going well and everything is coming along. I attached some pictures of our 400 gallon SW reef tank, 100+ gallon corner discus tank that I care for mostly, and a nano cube that is pushing me into getting a SW tank. Haha!

Anyway, reason for my post is that lately we've had a real issue with corydoras poisonings. If you did not know, cory cats give off a poison when frightened which can turn around and poison themself. In two days, we lost 15+ corys due to this issue. So my question is, do any of you have any idea on how to prevent this? We've puzzled at work and tried multiple different medicines and nothing has worked so I thought I'd ask you guys. If you have any ideas, feel free to let me know. Otherwise, hope all is well and that everyone's holidays are coming along well!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Fishnut2

The toxins that cories emit generally harm the fish during shipping. They are highly stressed from bouncing around, and they're in a closed environment (the bag) where the toxins can build up. There's a method called "kick the bucket" that can be used prior to shipping. Catch the cories before any other fish, and then kick the bucket every time you pass by it. If you do this (about 30 minutes) before shipping, you will see the toxin bubbles, floating on the top of the water. Obviously you would discard that water, and use fresh water to ship. They will still have some toxins, but about 80% will have been released, using this method.
Some of the species that emit more toxin are Adolfoi,Sterbai,Arcuatus, and Haroldshultzi. There are a few more. The toxin is also what causes it to hurt so much if you get stuck by a corie.
If you are losing cories in the store tanks, that haven't been recently shipped in, I don't think the toxins are the cause.
Fishnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

The issue with the "kick the bucket" method is that we don't ship... We get the fish in and they already have this issue. They'll look completely fine one minute and maybe an hour later, they're dead and have these red splotches on them. For example, we have a tank full of loxozonous with about 40 guppies. All the guppies are fine but all the cories died off. We do quarantine them before they come to the display part of the store and sometimes they make it and sometimes they don't. I'm at a real loss as to what's going on...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
emc7

The only obvious thing is to try is to do more, larger water changes in the QT tank.
emc7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Fishnut2

The people shipping to you need to kick the bucket before shipping. The fish are arriving with the toxins already in the shipping water. Water changes in quarantine might help...but the damage is already done during shipment (to you).
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Fishnut2

Look at it like getting out of the sun, once you are already sunburned. Getting in shade helps, but the sunburn is already there.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Fishnut2

Synderguy,

Google "toxin poisoning with corydoras". I got 893,000 hits on it.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

Originally Posted by Fishnut2 View Post
Synderguy,

Google "toxin poisoning with corydoras". I got 893,000 hits on it.
Hah, I actually did look around for about an hour before posting here. Didn't really find much on how to cure it or anything like that.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
lohachata
Super Moderator

i am not sure that there is a cure.............but.............
try this.....isolate the cories...add 3-4 drops of peroxide per gallon to the tank....
it may or may not work...just an idea..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Fishnut2

I don't think there's a cure either. The damage is done. The key is prevention. Minimise the toxins before shipment, or net out dead fish. Your shipper is causing the problem before the fish arrive.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Obsidian
Administrator

It sounds like what you need is a new source, the shipper doesn't sound like they know what they are doing, and you are loosing money and fish as a result. I hate to state the obvious, but sometimes the obvious slips past LOL.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #12
Fishnut2

And it's not just lost money. The fish are suffering through a slow painful death. I personally; would avoid that shipper for all shipments. Synderguy never said if it was a Florida shipment, or direct from Brazil. But either way, there are plenty of other shippers out there.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

I don't know where we get our shipments from but I do know we've been looking at new possibilities. Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Fishnut2

Glad to help Synderguy. If you ever try the kick the bucket method, just to see the toxins...they will be amber colored bubbles, very close to the size and color of corie eggs. I can't remember for sure...but I think they are oderless. They'll float at the top, and are quite obvious. I use a 5 gallon bucket, and about 20% of the surface gets filled up with the toxins.

Keep in mind, some species emit more toxins then others. From my own observations (so I wouldn't rely 100% on it) the species that stick thier fins out in defense when they're caught, release the most toxins. Adolfoi and sterbai are 2 of the worst.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

The shippers might also try putting fewer fish in each bag if they can't be bothered to kick the buckets. It might possibly help at least some.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement