New to cichlids - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Cichlids

Cichlids Discuss the keeping of Cichlids

Old 09-25-2016, 01:34 AM   #1
wolflover326
I love cories.

Post New to cichlids

I was gifted a 55g tank, with a couple different kinds of cichlids, and a pleco. Unfortunately, the stress of the move was too much for the majority of them, and they passed. The pleco survived, as did three juvie jewel cichlids. I don't particularly want to keep the tank given to me, and I am picking up a new 60g tomorrow. I've moved the pleco and the juvies into my 29g with my cories until the new tank is set up.

What I know
1)They like hiding spaces, mostly in rocks. Plants don't seem to matter.
2)They can be aggressive and territorial, especially when mated and spawning.
3)They can be kept with other cichlids in larger groups to minimize territorialism.

What I don't know:
1)What's the proper pH for these cichlids? My tap water is low at about ~6 or slightly above.
2)What tank mates can these type of cichlids live with? I didn't think they'd do well with my cories long-term, so I don't want to keep them together permanently. But, I think I would like to get some other cichlids.
3)I don't know what else I don't know, so tell me, please!
wolflover326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #2
toddnbecka

If you have 3 juvie jewel cichlids that eventually form a pair they'll basically take over the entire 55 for spawning territory. Jewels are notorious for killing just about anything else in the tank, particularly when spawning. You may be able to keep some schooling fish such as tetras or danios with them, but they're best kept on their own overall.
If you want a mixed community of cichlids you'd be better off getting rid of the jewels and starting with something else. Here's a decent resource for research, check out the cookie cutter link for specific stocking suggestions for various tank sizes:http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^ Please click on the eggs/dragons, thanx
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #3
wolflover326
I love cories.

Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
If you have 3 juvie jewel cichlids that eventually form a pair they'll basically take over the entire 55 for spawning territory. Jewels are notorious for killing just about anything else in the tank, particularly when spawning. You may be able to keep some schooling fish such as tetras or danios with them, but they're best kept on their own overall.
If you want a mixed community of cichlids you'd be better off getting rid of the jewels and starting with something else. Here's a decent resource for research, check out the cookie cutter link for specific stocking suggestions for various tank sizes:http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/
I can already see this happening, as the mated pair are bullying the others. I have someone coming tomorrow that's going to give them a good home.

I think I might stick with my peaceful community for now. ^_^

Old 09-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
wolflover326
I love cories.

Well, I rehomed the cichlids today. They went to a gentleman with 9 tanks, and I'm sure they will be happy!

My cories were throwing a party after they left, hahaha
1 pleco

29g long:
10 cories
1 pleco

55g:
To be determined!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement