gourami white/cottony poop - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Diseases

Diseases Learn about all the different diseases that can reak havoc on your fish!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
poppyseed

Default gourami white/cottony poop

My honey gourami is having some interesting bowel movements as of late. They appear to be white or just lighter than normal, and sometimes look like more than one string is coming out of the anus at the same time? I'm not sure if it is just bunching up and appears to be coming out at once, but I'm concerned. I've also noticed a veeerry thin white stringy kind of thing that sometimes trails behind as well, and once I noticed what looked like some sort of white cloudy, almost cottony material gathered around the poop at the anus as well.

Is this a parasite? I've been reading different posts and everything, even charts of different fish pooping problems, but I can't seem to find a good match for it.

EDIT:
I also thought I should add he still has an appetite. He gobbles up the food I put in the tank, but when he puts it in his mouth I see him open up and spit at least some out after. My mom said it was because the pieces are too big, and I guess she would know because she's been feeding him while I was away at school, but I figured I'd mention it.

Last edited by poppyseed; 12-30-2008 at 02:37 AM.
poppyseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Get some food that is medicated with a med called Metronidazole. Also look for something called "Pepso Food."
These will clear out the nasties.
This is common with gouramis.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
poppyseed

I went to petco today and unfortunately they don't carry medicated fish food or "pepso food" there, but I did find some dissolving anti-parasitic tablets that had Metronidazole as a main ingredient. I just put it in the tank so we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
poppyseed

Since I put a portion of the tablet into the tank last night (it was meant for 10 gallons so I cut it into fourths) my fish has been less hyperactive (I don't think I mentioned that but I later read that could be a sign of a parasite as well) and has been chilling in the back top corner of his tank for quite a while. I looked at him and there was still a bunch of white poop and that cotton like material coming out, only it had gathered into a ball.

I took a picture of it, but after he started moving the ball turned out to be some white poop and just a very long strand of that thin white substance. Here's the picture:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ed5690/fez.jpg

I found it strange that he was just sitting in that corner for such a long time (and I mean a looong while) until I turned the tank to stir him into some action. He's now leisurely swimming around.

Edit: About 10 minutes later he's back in that corner, just staring or something

Last edited by poppyseed; 12-31-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement