Fungus or Parasite? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Diseases

Diseases Learn about all the different diseases that can reak havoc on your fish!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Default Fungus or Parasite?

I've had 5 swordtails die over the last week with what I thought was a fungus but now I'm not so sure. Tonight when I was doing my water change I noticed a whitish patch growing on my last female swordtail. When she goes through the filter current the patch looks stringy. I know this isn't a very good picture but she won't stay still long enough for a better shot.

Can anyone tell from this photo what is on her tail or what medication I should use?
5 zebra danios, 10 rosy red minnows, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 6 ghost shrimp, many many red cherry shrimp, 2 platies, different types of swordtails, killifish, goldfish in the pond, goldfish fry, 2 koi, 5 butterfly koi, many guppies, and maybe in the future some P. saulosi
P.senegalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
emc7

fungus and bacteria like columnaris look alike w/o a microscope. If you don't have something that treats both, treat one and if no improvement (and there are any fish left), change water and treat for the other.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
P.senegalus
Shrimp Enthusiast

Ok i'll treat for fungus 1st since I already have the medication. Would melafix do anything, I can get it tomorrow if so?

So far it hasn't gotten any worse and the swordtail is still as active as she normally is, but I noticed a similar splotch on both my male platy's tails.
5 zebra danios, 10 rosy red minnows, 5 white cloud mountain minnows, 6 ghost shrimp, many many red cherry shrimp, 2 platies, different types of swordtails, killifish, goldfish in the pond, goldfish fry, 2 koi, 5 butterfly koi, many guppies, and maybe in the future some P. saulosi
P.senegalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement