Ich is killing all my fishs... - Page 2 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Diseases

Diseases Learn about all the different diseases that can reak havoc on your fish!

Old 01-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Samusaran

Default Still treating my tank...

Originally Posted by TankdreamerJim View Post
Super Ick Cure is made by API and they say that Melafix will work fine with it. I would go for it. The Melafix should clear up the fungus problem but wont help with the ICH. I'm wondering if maybe their might be something else going on such as Neon Tetra Disease because it just sounds like you can't get control over the problem and Neon Tetra Disease is one of the Diseases out there that can't be cured and for the most part can exist in your tank without showing any signs until it starts killing fish. I would also keep an eye on your water to see what the Ammonia, Nitrite, PH levels are if you have a test kit. Wish I could help out more but what your experiencing doesn't sound good and it baffles my mind. If all your fish die I would sterilize the heck out of that tank! Make sure you put everything in the tank in hot boiling water for no less than 5 minutes. I would also wash the inside of the tank with some type of disinfectant, swimming pool chlorine would work well, if you live in the city just the chemicals in your water supply should do the trick just leave the active carbon out for a week or so and put fresh carbon in a few days before getting new fish. I would also go for something easier to take care of glass fish and neon are a pain thats why I don't have any!
Treating my tank for tree days now with a mix of Super Ick Cure and Melafix. Seems to have stabilized my remaining two fishs. My glass catfish has some king of fungus but it's still breathing and swimming around. My tetra neon has no more white spots, and apart from a little discoloration and difficult breathing, he seems fine too. But I don't like to see them suffer... ICK or neon tetra disease, not sure anymore, but the white spots like salt grains really reminds me of ICK. But now, no more ICK but the patches of dicoloration on my tetra could me TETRA NEON DISEASE. What should I do with my remaining fishs ??

Strange, but my two otocinclus got trought all the problems in the tank and they didn't seem affected by any diseases. I really want to keep them... Could they be carriers of whatever diseases is in my tank ??

Last edited by Samusaran; 01-07-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Forgot some details
Samusaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #17
TankdreamerJim

I would just follow the directions on the Medication bottles, increase aeration and heat leave it be for a week or two and see what happens. Just don't buy anymore fish for a while, if your fish that you have survive let them have time to recuperate before adding anything else. I would also do a small quarantine tank in the future, for new fish so you don't end up with anything like this again. How long have you been an Aquarius? How long have you had these fish and when was the last time you added any new fish?
TankdreamerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
Samusaran

Default Updates...

Originally Posted by TankdreamerJim View Post
I would just follow the directions on the Medication bottles, increase aeration and heat leave it be for a week or two and see what happens. Just don't buy anymore fish for a while, if your fish that you have survive let them have time to recuperate before adding anything else. I would also do a small quarantine tank in the future, for new fish so you don't end up with anything like this again. How long have you been an Aquarius? How long have you had these fish and when was the last time you added any new fish?
My last tetra died a couple od days ago. And I'm pretty sure that the disease was introduced in the tank with my first batch of neon tetra. They were the first to get sick. My second batch got sick a couple of days after. And since all the fishs I got from a certain pet store got sick, I won't buy any more fishs from them.

So, I have one glass catfish remaining in my tank and two otos. The glass catfish no longer seems to be sick, it's eating and swimming around, and it's almost all transparent again (it was milky white some days ago). I dropped the temperature a few degreees but I continue the medication.

I'm seriouly thinking about transfering these three fishs in my two gallons hospital tank, and do a big clean-up of the other tank ( I will clean the foam filter block and throw away the activated carbon and BIO-max cylinders), just to be sure. I know I will have to go through the cycling process again, but maybe it's better to start all over again. I'm sure it was ICK, but towards the end, maybe there was an occurence of neon tetra disease and fungus.

I'm hesitating to get more tetra neon for my tank. But they were the perfect size for a 5 gallon tank, and I truly loved the colors. Maybe a couple of guppies or a shrimp or two, I will have to think about it.
Samusaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #19
TankdreamerJim

Get Cardinal Tetra they are almost the same and don't have the disease problems that neon tetra do. They are resistant to neon tetra disease which was probably what you had going on in your tank. I would do the hospital tank, clean everything thoroughly let everything dry out for a week then start over again. If your local water supply has chlorine in it don't use chlorine treatment when you first fill the tank let the tank and everything run as normal with the chlorinated water, including filter without active carbon in it because it will remove the chlorine, any airlines, airstones, plastic plants, basically if it isn't alive but it goes in the tank put it in there. Let the Chlorine do the last step of killing off any parasite you might miss. Then after a few days add carbon to your filter add water treatment to remove chlorine then start the cycle process and when things are good add your fish back to the tank and I would do the Cardinal tetra but put them in the hospital tank when your first get them (quarantine) them so you wont have to go through all this again. This is what I would do if I were in your shoes. I live out in the country and have well water which is better for keeping fish and doesn't need to be treated however if I were in your case the Chlorine in the water is actually a good thing because you can use it to kill parasites but I would have to add it myself and don't know how to do that so I just use medications.
TankdreamerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement