Ich is killing all my fishs... - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Diseases

Diseases Learn about all the different diseases that can reak havoc on your fish!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
Samusaran

Default Ich is killing all my fishs...

Two weeks ago, I spotted a tetra neon with white spots like salt grains on it. I did'nt remove it from the tank soon enough, because it wasn't long before half of my tetra neon population got ich too.

I raised the temp. up to 30 degress celcius and added some meds ( Liquid Super Ick Cure from API ). My tetras neon died one after another. I also tried the salt method, but they didn't like it at all. One of my Glass Catfish died as well, probably from the salt and the heat. And the last two tetra to died had pop-eye.

I have two otos left, with two glass catfish and one tetra neon. I spotted two white spot on my tetra neon this morning. I thought I was safe, but it seems that I will have to continue the meds + heat.

One questions... Are otos and glass catfish can get ich ??

I don't have a quarantine tank, it's still cycling so I don't want to but the remaining fishs in it.

My water parameters are fine. Am I using the right method ?? How long before I can consider the tank rid of the ich and be able to put more fish in the tank ??
Samusaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Samusaran

Default Oh no....

And I think one of my remaining glass catfish got it too. The tail and the underbelly are a little shreded, and I think I saw tiny white spots on its body, but it's not easy to tell with this kind of fish. Could also be fungus....

Not easy to treat my fish tank when the treatment seems to kill the remaining fishs.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Banks757
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by Samusaran View Post
Two weeks ago, I spotted a tetra neon with white spots like salt grains on it. I did'nt remove it from the tank soon enough, because it wasn't long before half of my tetra neon population got ich too.

I raised the temp. up to 30 degress celcius and added some meds ( Liquid Super Ick Cure from API ). My tetras neon died one after another. I also tried the salt method, but they didn't like it at all. One of my Glass Catfish died as well, probably from the salt and the heat. And the last two tetra to died had pop-eye.

I have two otos left, with two glass catfish and one tetra neon. I spotted two white spot on my tetra neon this morning. I thought I was safe, but it seems that I will have to continue the meds + heat.

One questions... Are otos and glass catfish can get ich ??

I don't have a quarantine tank, it's still cycling so I don't want to but the remaining fishs in it.

My water parameters are fine. Am I using the right method ?? How long before I can consider the tank rid of the ich and be able to put more fish in the tank ??
I just had the same problem with my tank and I fit some good advice from if the people in the forum. I have a 50 gallon with 12 barbs, 2 algae eaters and a iridescent shark. I noticed that 3 of my barbs and shark had white spots and it was Ich. I ended treating my hole tank. I took out my filters out treated the whole tank with ( Kordon Rid Ich Plus). I used the Rid Uch according to the directions for about a week in a half. Every time you use the Rid Ich turn the temp of your tank up little bit intel reaches 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I only Lost two barbs in the process and my shark. Never used salt, but they say that works as well. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Banks757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
emc7

By the time you see the white grains, ich is everywhere in your tank and all fish are exposed. treat is all
emc7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Banks757
Fishy Member

Don't forget to do water changes every time you use the the Rid Ich.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Banks757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Samusaran

Default Treatment

I'm currently treating the whole tank. I'm slowly raising the temp. and adding meds (with water changes).

Is it true that a temp. of 84-86 degress will kill the ich after 7-10 days ?? It may also kill some fish...

I know that the best way to be rid of the ich would be to empty the tank and clean it, but I still have some fish in it and I don't want to throw them away. And a clean tank would mean to go through the cycling process again.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Fishnut2

Continue to treat the tank. Don't empty it out and clean it. The fish are already stressed from the disease, and the additional meds. Make sure you don't have any carbon filters running, as that will pull out the meds. If you cover the tank and keep it dark, that will reduce any additional stress on the fish. Adding extra aeration would help too, because as the temperature rises, the dissolved oxygen in the water decreases. Next, be patient. 7-10 days is normal for treating ich. It's in 3 different stages. Parasite (attached to the fish) free-swimming (in the tank water) and cyst (eggs that haven't hatched yet) Make sure you don't use a net from that tank, on another tank. Ich is highly contagious. That med needs to be 1/2 dosed on cories and loaches...but I don't think you had any of those. You have already taken the right steps, so be patient, and good luck!
Fishnut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
weedkiller

Originally Posted by Samusaran View Post
I'm currently treating the whole tank. I'm slowly raising the temp. and adding meds (with water changes).

Is it true that a temp. of 84-86 degress will kill the ich after 7-10 days ?? It may also kill some fish...

I know that the best way to be rid of the ich would be to empty the tank and clean it, but I still have some fish in it and I don't want to throw them away. And a clean tank would mean to go through the cycling process again.
no the heat doesnt kill ich straight away, if my understanding is correct the heat will cycle the parasites lifetime over 3-4 days rather than weeks, it will make the parasite fall off its victim, the salt added gradually over the 2 week period will help kill the ich (check on your fishes tollerance to heat and salt) that is where the may kill some fish comes into it, their tollerance to the heat is lower.
it is possible to rid ich without meds and believe it should be tried 1st, meds (depending on which you get) can kill plants, dye your tank ornaments and various other things even to the point of being cancerous to you (jbl's med).
seeing as you have already started with the med's you will need to resume.
there are ways to reduce the chances of contracting ich (from what ive read) and the main way that seems to be quoted is to keep your temps at the 79/80 mark with a salted tank, im not saying for definate that it works but for the sake of it its worth a try if it does no harm
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Mega Clown Pleco
3 Guppies

Last edited by weedkiller; 01-03-2013 at 01:35 AM.
weedkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
TankdreamerJim

1 Tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water I always put the salt in a net and dip it in the filter to dissolve the salt. I use Jungle Aquarium Salt follow the directions on the package, I bought it at Walmart for a few bucks. Thats how I cured the ICH/ICK in my tank fish seemed to love the salt too. I have Guppies, Mollies, Zebra danio and Ghost Shrimp. Make sure the fish you have can tolerate the salt. Also do the heat treatment like the other say it works too, Providing your heater adjusts mine didn't and the salt was enough to get rid of the parasite!
TankdreamerJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
TankdreamerJim

Another thing you could try is to increase the current in the tank it makes it harder for the parasite to attach to a host, it they can't attach within a few hours they die!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
Samusaran

Default Treatment

Thank you all for your suggestions. You just confirmed that I'm doing the right thing. I just need to be patient.

And I can tell you now that one of my Glass Catfish got the fungus as well. It got little cotton-like white patches all over him. What to do ?? I can't treat the tank with two meds together...

I don't think I wil try the salt method, the fishs didn't like it at all the last time I used it.

My heater is adjustable, so I was able to elevate the temp. to 32 C / 84 F in my tank. I already had areation in the tank, but I will increase it... my tetra neon is breathing really fast. I removed the activated carbon when I started the meds, so I'm OK with that.

I will continue with the meds and heat for two weeks, and I hope the fishs will be able to stand it, along with partial water changes and gravel vacuum every two days.

I will keep you posted on the results.

Thank you again.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
Samusaran

Default Another one...

Another of my Glass Catfish died just an hour ago. It's all white... The last one to died was still transparent...

Anyway, it was probably a secondary infection that killed it.

So, I have a tetra neon left, one glass catfish (with a beginning of white cotton patches all over it), and two otocinclus.

My two otocinclus seems to be fine. Are otocinclus can be affected by ich ??
Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
TankdreamerJim

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes this MELAFIX that works great for fungus and is all natural so it shouldn't harm the bacteria in your filter. I have been using it for years! I think you can find it at petco, petsmart and amazon.com
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Samusaran

Originally Posted by TankdreamerJim View Post
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes this MELAFIX that works great for fungus and is all natural so it shouldn't harm the bacteria in your filter. I have been using it for years! I think you can find it at petco, petsmart and amazon.com
I have some MELAFIX, but the question is if I can use it while using SUPER ICK CURE...
Old 01-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
TankdreamerJim

Super Ick Cure is made by API and they say that Melafix will work fine with it. I would go for it. The Melafix should clear up the fungus problem but wont help with the ICH. I'm wondering if maybe their might be something else going on such as Neon Tetra Disease because it just sounds like you can't get control over the problem and Neon Tetra Disease is one of the Diseases out there that can't be cured and for the most part can exist in your tank without showing any signs until it starts killing fish. I would also keep an eye on your water to see what the Ammonia, Nitrite, PH levels are if you have a test kit. Wish I could help out more but what your experiencing doesn't sound good and it baffles my mind. If all your fish die I would sterilize the heck out of that tank! Make sure you put everything in the tank in hot boiling water for no less than 5 minutes. I would also wash the inside of the tank with some type of disinfectant, swimming pool chlorine would work well, if you live in the city just the chemicals in your water supply should do the trick just leave the active carbon out for a week or so and put fresh carbon in a few days before getting new fish. I would also go for something easier to take care of glass fish and neon are a pain thats why I don't have any!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement