Okay, internal parasites - the best med? - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Diseases

Diseases Learn about all the different diseases that can reak havoc on your fish!

Old 10-12-2005, 06:48 PM   #1
peckka
Fishy Member

Default Okay, internal parasites - the best med?

Turns out after starting completely over with my tank - and recycling and everything, I'm reliving the same problem I had before giving up on it a few months ago - internal parasites. This time, I'm not going to stand by and watch every fish rot away from the inside out. I want to cure it once and for all and have a happy breeding tank.

I've been using Jungle medicated parasite food, but it's not working (most probably because the infected fish aren't really eating). So, I've read that there are some meds out there that are actually absorbed through the fish's gills, and are very effective. And I've heard good things about Prazi-Pro and it's quick and safe effectiveness on internal parasites. What do you recommend I try???

Thanks!
Kevin
peckka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Prazi-Pro works wonders, and should be the first thing you use. Follow up afterward with Jungle's Parasite-Clear.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
mousey

I have a platy that swims in short jerky movements especially at night.Acts like something is biting him. have treated him for ich as he had a few (2-3) spots i could see. he was not scraping himself. he also has stringy white poo. Eats like a pig but never passes healthy poo. has his fins clamped most times except when beating up other platys. changed personality for him!
Now a guppy has started passing white poo and has her fins clamped. it was suggested by local fish store that i treat with hex- out which is for internal worms and parasites. it is flagyl and metronidazole combo.
"everything fishy"website author suggests it may be enteric septicemia as fish has short jerky movemnets. Anyone know about this and any ideas on the platy. Had one young guppy just die with lack of appetite and white poo. She would go up to eat then not take the food.Wasted away in effect.
Glo tetra also is acting hungry but will not eat after he checks the food out. Can't ever see any poo from him.
ideas needed.
thanks
mousey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
solar-ton
guardian of the sea

i found that for the really tough parasites you should try a 1.5x doseage of a powerful cupper med but you cant do that with prazi pro...my fish had some super parasite that came from walmart remarkably some of the fishes immune systems ripped a new one for the little bas*ards and then they got popeye and fought off that with just a little melafix wich i have no idea how they survived that but the only way i could get them was bleaching the tank and the decor and trashing the gravel and another intresting fact is that i left it in there for a little bit in a big plastic bag and the parasites just kept multiplying and there were so many the water turned thick and yellow and the moral of this story is:walmart tank conditions are so bad that entirerly new super hardy species of parasites are created lol

sorry about the long story lol
Old 10-14-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Mousey, once again, Prazi-Pro & Parasite Clear will fix most of your problems. After a week each of those, some Coppersafe will get rid of the remaining Ick.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #6
mousey

I was not able to find any prazi pro locally so went ahead and did the hex out thing for 2 days. The platy is now passing food colored stool again. i thought that the drug was too strong as the tabs are 500 mg.I had read in a fish keeping magazine that 250 mg is a better dosage. i put a pregnant guppy in with the platy as she had started to pass white poo. She died within 4 hours of the treatment starting so i initially thought the meds had killed her. i now believe she was too scared. the platy has been showing signs of stress for the past two days in his Q container too. he seems to be made of tougher stuff.
The local fish store treat all of their new fish with hex outas well as other antibiotics and they assure me that it does not hurt pregnant fish if used in the correct dose. i would be interested if you have any ideas or info on the correct dose of flagy( the main ingredient of hex out or Hexamit). A 4 hour goofle search has not revealed this info.
i am going to continue to search for the Prazi pro. i may have to buy it online.
Mousey
Old 10-16-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
DavidDoyle

Hexamit is no longer available as far as I know. The main ingredient, and what I use for parasites, is Metronoddazole which is available under that name from Seachem.

It is a very benign medication, is hard to overdose and can be used to make a medicated food. This is the most effective way to use it if the fish is still eating but, if not, it can be dosed in the tank.
DavidDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
peckka
Fishy Member

I ordered the Prazi Pro online last Thursday, and it's supposed to be here by Wednesday at the latest. I can't wait for it to arrive, as my fish are getting skinnier and skinnier as the days go by. Two of the fish spend most of the day lying on the gravel now, but still come to the top for food when it's time. Hopefully this medicine will heal them up quickly!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
solar-ton
guardian of the sea

isnt it true that you cant use any other meds while treating with prazi pro?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
peckka
Fishy Member

I have no idea, but I'd sure like to know - I still have coppersafe in there from an ich breakout about two to three weeks ago. ???
Old 10-17-2005, 06:13 AM   #11
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Yes, it is true. PraziPro should be used by itself, according to the label. I haven't yet experimented with combining it with coppersafe.

As for the dose for metronidazole, ( flagyl ) if you look in five different books you'll get five different answers. The average seems to be around 7 mg per liter, with a 25% water change every other day followed by another dose of the same size, for a week. Many over-the-counter medications make it a lot easier than this to use, though. However, since you now have PraziPro coming you probably won't need metronidazole unless your fish have Hexamita as well. Prazi is great for worms, but not much help against Hex.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 PM   #12
peckka
Fishy Member

Oh, God. I don't know if it's hex or just parasites. I've looked up the symptoms, and they are very similar, if not the same. Guess I'll just hope the prazi-pro does some good!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
peckka
Fishy Member

Well, my Prazi-pro arrived on Wednesday, and I immediately did a huge water change and put the med in. It's amazing what a small amount is needed - 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons!

Two days in, I'm not seeing any improvement, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay positive. I've lost two more mollies, and the last molly in the tank is so skinny he can barely swim. Hopefully this stuff works!!!

Kevin
Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #14
mousey

try the flagyl then. it worked wonders for my platy with the white stringy poo.
i have an old glo light tetra who won't eat. he was getting very thin and was afraid of the other fish. i have him in a container and he is eating only frozen shrimp!! little bum, he is at least still alive and happy in the breeding tank. feels nice and safe. refuses all flake or pellet food
Old 10-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #15
peckka
Fishy Member

Just a quick question here - how long until I start seeing results? I'm on day 3 with the prazipro. I added a second dosage today, as per the directions. Some of the fish seem to be stressed, just hanging out at the top of the water or hiding under plants. Most are still eating, though. They are still extremely thin looking, and still have the white poop. I know it's only day three, and it'll probably take a week or two - but I'm just not sure how long until I'll know if the medicine is working or if I'll need to try something else.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement