PVC Pipe - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > General > DIY (Do It Yourself)

DIY (Do It Yourself) Find out what others have done to cut corners and save money on anything from aquariums to fish products.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Banks757
Fishy Member

Default PVC Pipe

Lately I've been reading on line the many uses of using PVC pipe in your aquarium. What type of PVC pipe can I use in my tank? And is the best adhesive to use (silicone or hot Glue)? Want to add a couple hiding spaces in 50 gallon tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Banks757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

i have used PVC pipe for a number of things in my tanks..no need to use the glue as it fits together pretty snugly..with a cap it is good for caves for plecos , loaches and such.just a straight tube will make redtail sharks quite happy..
i have used it to make a couple of different kinds of sponge filters..also for undergravel filters..i have even used it to make a tank divider for bigger fish..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
BV77

My advise on pvc.....the white pvc in homes is used for water supply lines, and black pvc is used for drains and sewage. I think that the white would be safer to use as the black can have leaching problems that the white wouldn't have.
BV77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
emc7

Some black tubing floats. Anything rated for drinking water is fish safe.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
fish_doc
Advisor to Neptune (Mod)

As far as your adhesives go. I used a pvc pipe and aquarium silicone to decorate the pipe with the small aquarium gravel. That way it didn't look so "industrial" in the aquarium and the added weight kept the fish from moving it around. Most large pet stores will carry it and even some large hardware stores.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/dap-28-...l#.UK0aCJGlsdU
The above link is a smaller tube but you can find them in the large caulk tubes like you use around the trim on your house. Just be sure they say aquarium safe.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Banks757
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by BV77 View Post
My advise on pvc.....the white pvc in homes is used for water supply lines, and black pvc is used for drains and sewage. I think that the white would be safer to use as the black can have leaching problems that the white wouldn't have.
Went out today and bought some PVC pipe. On one of them it says Black -ABS. I think I read somewhere that is not safe to use? Can use this in my tank? See picture Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1353787675.361807.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	7248

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
emc7

I think it is saying the black pipe is ABS, the white is PVC, they come from the same stamp or mold. ABS is not inherently toxic. A properly made polymer has a huge molecular weight and is very insoluble, all the monomer is gone if you don't smell styrene (which is very smelly). They use it Lego bricks now. But it is only a little denser than water, so short pieces can and do float (I put it in tanks for mbuna mammas to hide in). It can also degrade in UV light, so don't use it to plumb in sunlight.

A PVC cutter is very useful for small diameter pipe.

Last edited by emc7; 11-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
Banks757
Fishy Member

Originally Posted by emc7 View Post
I think it is saying the black pipe is ABS, the white is PVC, they come from the same stamp or mold. ABS is not inherently toxic. A properly made polymer has a huge molecular weight and is very insoluble, all the monomer is gone if you don't smell styrene (which is very smelly). They use it Lego bricks now. But it is only a little denser than water, so short pieces can and do float (I put it in tanks for mbuna mammas to hide in). It can also degrade in UV light, so don't use it to plumb in sunlight.

A PVC cutter is very useful for small diameter pipe.
Okay. I think that is what it's saying too . Going to set 50 gal up tomorrow , and the PVC for hiding spots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement