Frustrating flourescent bulbs. - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Equipment & Technologies

Equipment & Technologies Find out what the latest and greatest equipment is in the market today. Post your findings or view what others have tested.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Trout

Angry Frustrating flourescent bulbs.

GRRR!!! I just bought a 10-watt flourescent bulb to use in my 5 gallon hex tank, and the hood says to use 15-watt maximum wattage! The bulb itself says to replace yearly, but it Just burnt out after probably less than a month of use!!! I had another flourescent bulb that did something similar but it was after about 3 months that it burnt out. What can I do!? I don't like using Incandescent bulbs because they don't show off the fish as nicely, and I've got live plants as well. Is there any place I can get a flourescent bulb that will last as long as it's supposed to? Or should I just build a hood and use LEDs (I don't think they sell LED hoods for hex-tanks)?

I turn the bulb on in the morning shortly before noon, and then off again in the evening. Should I just leave flourescents on forever?

10 gallon setup:
1 Julii Cory
3 pearl danios
2 Japanese Algae Eater Shrimp
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
lohachata
Super Moderator

the problem may well be in the hood.....if you had 2 different bulbs burn out like that i would suggest you contact the hood manufacturer...ask for a replacement..tell them that you don't need to have your house burned down..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Trout

I've finally decided I'm just gonna go ahead and turn my existing hood into an LED hood. The only real problem is gonna be getting all the little parts I need to convert 120VAC 60Hz to a DC voltage that will support long life to the little LEDs AND give my plants decent light. This is gonna be an interesting process. Anyone else done this sort of a thing before? I could use a little help instruction. I know I need 4 diodes, a transformer, a capacitor, and a regulator, but... what do I do when I've got them?

10 gallon setup:
1 Julii Cory
3 pearl danios
2 Japanese Algae Eater Shrimp
Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement