New filter for new tank - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > Equipment & Technologies

Equipment & Technologies Find out what the latest and greatest equipment is in the market today. Post your findings or view what others have tested.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
wolflover326
I love cories.

Post New filter for new tank

So, I've purchased a 55g tank that I haven't set up yet. Probably won't be ready to until November, but that gives me a lot of time to do research!

I was given a canister filter, but when comparing it to my Aqueon Quiet flow on my 29g, it just doesn't seem to move water the way that I would like. And, since I'm probably going to have a heavy fish load (see below), I need a filter than can keep up. Also, I would like to try and stick with one filter, but if I need to, I'll do a second one.

What filters do you guys/gals prefer? I've been looking at the AquaClear 110, and according to AqAdvisor, it would be good for the amount I'm stock I'm looking to have.

Speaking of stock, here's what I'm thinking:

I went ahead and made a separate thread about advice on the stock: http://www.fishforums.com/forum/gene...tml#post490890

Last edited by wolflover326; 09-28-2016 at 01:30 PM.
wolflover326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

Just one filter is never a good idea. You want two or three. That way things keep running when one clogs, and you can clean one at a time without causing disruption.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
wolflover326
I love cories.

Originally Posted by TheOldSalt View Post
Just one filter is never a good idea. You want two or three. That way things keep running when one clogs, and you can clean one at a time without causing disruption.
Oh, okay! I usually clean mine out during the water changes, so they're off anyways. But, your way sounds a lot safer for my fish!

Do you have a preference on HOB filters?
1 pleco

29g long:
10 cories
1 pleco

55g:
To be determined!
wolflover326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
toddnbecka

I'd run 2 aquaclear 70's on the tank. Are you doing sand or gravel substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

^ Please click on the eggs/dragons, thanx
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
ivwarrior

Plus, 2 HOB filters helps keep water moving in the tank. I only have one on my 55, but stuck a powerhead in the other corner to insure water wasn't stagnant in that end. I think I'm going to replace it with a second filter if I decide to keep the tank freshwater.
ivwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:01 AM   #6
toddnbecka

Before I switched from gravel to sand substrate in my tanks I ran the aquaclears through the lift tubes of undergravel filter plates. The circulation kept debris from collecting under the plates and it ended up in the sponges, got cleaned out with partial changes. Not to mention that the entire gravel bed was excellent filtration for the water, it was always crystal clear.

^ Please click on the eggs/dragons, thanx
toddnbecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #7
supperfish
Love Fish Tank

I'd run one aquaclear 20 and one aquaclear 70 power filters on my 55 gallon aquarium. I think these are the best filters for 55 gallon fish tank.

Last edited by supperfish; 05-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.
supperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement