Filterless Fish Tank! - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > General > FYI (For Your Info)

FYI (For Your Info) Find out if there are answers here that have already been answered about anything fish related, before you post your question.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Guppies

Default Filterless Fish Tank!

OK so while looking for a substitute for a filter i found this article that shows you how to set up a fish tank with no filter:

http://www.sunny-stars.com/Pages/Fil...Fish_Tank.aspx

It talks about setting up and cycling a filterless tank (i think its pretty cool!)
Guppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Vayurules
Always Learning

Default Filterless Fish Tank!

Yes, filterless aquariums are possible, but they gave you no example on what plants to use. (Anyone else notice they listed heater twice?) and really you could get a simple sponge filter set up cheaper than you could nicely plant an aquarium. Sponge filter are used in most breeding tanks, as to not suck up and kill baby shrimp and fry.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
lohachata
Super Moderator

guppies.....how experienced are you at maintaining aquariums ?
filterless tanks really aren't for beginners....
almost all of our tanks have sponge filters ; but that is because we breed fish...if we set up a display tank it would be with either undergravel or canister or power filters....the only things that are filterless are some big pretzel jugs that we use for breeding shrimps..

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
emc7

Filterless is doable in 2 way. 100% water changes very frequently or a very low bioload to plant ratio. A few shrimp in a big bin of plants. It can work in large containers outside, certain plants will eat ammonia as fast as the animals can produce it.

But if you like any significant quantity of fish in a tank in a house, any filter, even a glob of filter floss stuck on the end of an air-line, will make your life so much easier allow you to keep a higher bio-load safely.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
C. King

Guppies, after reading the article carefully, and comparing the advice given to my own aquarium experiences (personal as well as in the business) I have decided that it is either a spoof, or that it only proves the old adage that anyone can write anything they want, post it on the internet in a very respectable format, but it ain't necessarily so. There are sooo many issues not mentioned, and the writing reads like someone plagerized another article, throwing in the word "filterless" once in a while. This is my opinion only, but I would not consider it trustworthy. sorry.
5 cardinal tetras
1 dwarf gourami
3 oto catfish
1 bristlenose pleco
1 crown tail betta
2 rasboras
1 cory cat
a few shrimp
C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
emc7

Many natural bodies of water have no "filters" per se, but the fish per gallon number is really, really low. Fish we would keep in a 55 fill up a pond measured in thousands of gallons.

just because something can be done, doesn't make it a smart thing to do. If I lived in a place with sporadic power outages, I would try to stock my tank so that fish would survive "filterless", but i would still use a filter.

Last edited by emc7; 01-25-2013 at 05:25 PM.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement