** Warning About Freeze-Dried Bloodworms ** - Page 3 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > General > FYI (For Your Info)

FYI (For Your Info) Find out if there are answers here that have already been answered about anything fish related, before you post your question.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
Maine_Fish

I realize this is an old thread, but wanted to share my recent run-in with freeze-dried bloodworms.

As a matter of habit, I usually wash my hands before and after handling any fish food. A couple months ago, I tossed a few pinches of freeze-dried bloodworms into one my tanks...and realized I was running late for dropping off my son the next town over. Without washing my hands, we jumped in the car and headed toward our destination.

After just a couple minutes, my left eye started feeling very strange. It was itchy and watering...and was rapidly getting worse. I was back home in about 30 minutes, and by then it looked like somebody had punched me. My eye was almost swollen shut. By a process of elimination, my guess was that I had rubbed my eye and it was a reaction to the freeze-dried bloodworms.

From that point on, I made sure to wash my hands thoroughly after handling the bloodworms.

About a month later, I ran out and opened a new container of bloodworms. Within seconds of tearing off the foil seal, I started sneezing violently (likely from inhaling dust from the newly opened container). My nose was running, and my throat started feeling very strange. After about 10 minutes the feeling in my throat got worse...it was painful to swallow. I knew exactly what was happening...I was having a serious allergic reaction. Realizing this could be quite serious, I went to the kitchen cupboard where we keep our vitamins and medicines, and found a bottle of allergy pills (antihistamine). I poured out a handful and chewed them up. I know...it was probably not the smartest thing to do...but after about a half hour, the symptoms started to subside.

Looking back, I realize I probably should have had my wife rush me to the ER...I think this was a potentially life-threatening situation. Not good. I immediately disposed of all the freeze-dried bloodworms in the house. I'll never use them again.

Funny thing...a few weeks later I was in a local Petco. I saw a lady feeding their bettas, and stepped closer to get a better look. When I got a few feet from her, I saw what she was feeding them...freeze-blood worms. I must have had a look of horror on my face as I backed away from her...because she looked at me really strange.

Anyway...that was my experience with an allergy to freeze-dried bloodworms.
Maine_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #32
OhYesItsMe
friendly member

You are not alone i am also allergic to bloodworms, freeze--dried are worse for me than frozen probably because i can inhale bloodworm dust with the dried ones, i still have issues with frozen ones, but i am a ot ore careful and havent had issues in a while

20 gal tank
4 amano shrimp
2 nirite snails
1 bolivian ram

55 gal tank
2 synodontis catfish (one nigriventris and one nigrita)
5 yellow labs
1 jewel cichlid
3 johanni(one is electric blue)
4 acei
1 ice blue cichlid
OhYesItsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #33
Betta man
King of the Bettas

I've had no issues with that. I am allergic to many things, but not bloodworms. I would think it would help to wear a mask when feeding bloodworms, but there are many other fish foods and it's not worth it for an allergy attack.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #34
sean_130

You could always spoon the blood worms into tank just a idea
sean_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
emc7

Taking benadryl (assuming you are not allergic to it) is an excellent idea if you've been exposed to an allergen and aren't having trouble breathing yet. If you went to the hospital, they'd give you epi and benadryl shots. You should get a prescription for an epi pen and get some liquid benadryl (so you can swallow it). Ridding your house of something that makes you ill is always a good idea. There are plenty of other things to feed fish. The severity of the next allergic reaction can jump unexpectedly, so plan for one worse than you've even had.
emc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #36
lohachata
Super Moderator

although i use and sell a lot of different foods ; for no reason will i use or sell freeze dried bloodworms....one inhalation of the dust and i am in ER....without treatment i would be dead within an hour....i use frozen but have to wear nitrile gloves...
vile nasty stuff....

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #37
Ice

While I knew about the allergy dangers of freeze-dried bloodworms, I used them to feed my neon tetras. So do what I do, DON'T USE your fingers to handle bloodworms. Use a pair of tweezers EXCLUSIVELY for feeding bloodworms. Works for me.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement