Pond algae eater - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 04-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #1
fishbone

Default Pond algae eater

My dad has a 6 thousand gallon outdoor pond and we're looking at the possibility of getting some algae eaters. Here's a topic about it:
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/fish...llon-pond.html
The pond has plenty of brown algae on the bottom, rocks, everything is slimy with the stuff, to the point that the water is brown and you can't see the bottom. We're looking at also treating the water for it but we'd like to introduce some algae eaters. The pond isn't really overtaken by the stuff, it seems to stay in ballance but we'd like a tad bit clearer water.
But there's a catch. We have 5-year old koi in there that spend the winter in the pond. Is there an algae eater that can survive year-round in there? We simply don't have the means to keep them indoors, not to mention trying to catch them
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
fishbguy

I was told a regular pleco would work in a pond a few years ago but they wouldn't be able to survive the winter in MI tho. how cold does it get where you live?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
fishbone

Nebraska? Probably as cold as MI. The bottom of the pond obviously never freezes, so I'd say the absolute coldest is somewhere above 32*F. I'm being told 4*Celsius minimum, which means roughly 38-39*F
Old 04-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
Corydora_FREAK
FIENDING FOR CORYDORAS!

do they make pond heaters? Because if they do, get a common pleco and get that heater in there. Plecs are pretty hardy fish, and just keep it over 45 degrees at least in the winter and he should survive...
Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
StarLab

Garra Pingi Pingi work well for ponds. Not too sure about winterizing them though.

I find they are only available in the spring. Bit pricey though... $15 for small ones.
StarLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Kageshi17

You could do some sort of snail....I'm pretty sure they would do the trick as long as they don't MULTIPLE LIKE CRAZY! (like pond snails, those mo fos) Maybe mystery snails can be in really cold temps? Cuz if they can, they are big and awesome. Hehe. But then again you have to find a snail that loves algae....
2 Rubber Lipped Plecos

30g Long:
Soon to be gotten and cichlid tank time!

30g Hex:
Soon to be gotten and cichlid tank time!
Kageshi17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
MyraVan

Mystery snails definitely cannot survive very cold conditions, but there's a snail that's fairly similar that can: a trapdoor snail. Read all about them here:
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,...20Trapdoor.htm
I don't know where to buy them in the US; perhaps the shop in the link can sell you some?
MyraVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
Fishfirst
Fish Guru

If you heat your pond during the winter just slighly... and keep flowing... these might be an answer...
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...pcatid=860&N=0

"All the yellow tangs and clownfish in the world can't save you now! hahahah" Peter from Family Guy
Fishfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
swordtailbreedr

Id get a common pleco and winter him inside
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Scuba Kid

Originally Posted by swordtailbreedr
Id get a common pleco and winter him inside
He said that's not an option. He's looking for something to survive throughout the winter.
Trapdoor snails might not be a bad idea but by planting your pond, you reduce alot of the algae. Floating plants such as water hyacinth and water lettuce as well as oxygenators like anacharis help out a lot.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
fishbone

We'll try the plant route and maybe get some snails.
Thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #12
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

The plant route is the safest. Be sure to get native plants that can die off and come back after winter.

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
swordtailbreedr

Oh srry i didnt see the no wintering inside thing. There are heat coils for ponts thogh
Old 05-01-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
swordtailbreedr

WOW that shark is 40 bucks plus shipping...i could get 20 neons for dat much! but really if he sells a few koi he can pay for it-theres an idea-sell some koi to by a heater then u could get a pleco if u want!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
guppyart
Naked wookie

Originally Posted by swordtailbreedr
WOW that shark is 40 bucks plus shipping...i could get 20 neons for dat much! but really if he sells a few koi he can pay for it-theres an idea-sell some koi to by a heater then u could get a pleco if u want!
you can't put a price on a fish that does its job,, thats the coolest thing I have seen.
take a look at good quality discus prices let alone SW fish prices.
I agree on the plant route,, I am doing water lettuce, water hyacinth,water sprite, large duckweed,najas,, I don't know if the water sprite and najas will survive in my temps but if they do woohoo.
wish you luck with this I know my ponds always have algae
Advertisement