My favorite local fish store - Page 4 - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 08-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #46
snyderguy
Discus Keeper

Blue Fish Aquarium over here in Grand Rapids, MI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
Betta man
King of the Bettas

If I ever go to southern CA, I think I'll check some of those out. For northern CA, O street aquarium is good, aqua life aquarium, aquaworkz, (my favorite) lee's feed, and the sunrise petcenter.

Gun control means using both hands.
Wear short sleeves and support your right to bare arms!
Those of you who pretend to know everything annoy those of us who do....
Betta man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #48
grogan
A piece of the amazon

Crew, if you have a smart phone get it out and take a video of your local shops! I would love to see what the other shops look like!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #49
Murloc
Naturalist

Originally Posted by Betta man View Post
If I ever go to southern CA, I think I'll check some of those out. For northern CA, O street aquarium is good, aqua life aquarium, aquaworkz, (my favorite) lee's feed, and the sunrise petcenter.
Out of my whole list, if you come down here and have to choose one, go to The Aquatic Warehouse. Some people don't like it because it is kind of like, the king of LFS in southern California, but it is still a LFS and they still only have one store so I don't know why people get all over their case haha. It is literally, a warehouse. Salt, Fresh, Ponds, everything. And they know their stuff. I have been dealing with the same people there for years. They just remodeled not too long ago as well.. and the place is even doper.

Originally Posted by grogan View Post
Crew, if you have a smart phone get it out and take a video of your local shops! I would love to see what the other shops look like!
I know the AW won't care if I shoot a video of their place.. Others might mind but I will for sure.
All in mail, never clinking.
Murloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #50
Sally*Koi

There's a Petco that's 10-15 minutes away from my house. Sometimes it grosses me out, though, because the filters in the tanks there are really strong, and fish get stuck to them, and then the other fish in that tank start to eat them.... I know, ew, right?
Sally*Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #51
bullseyejoey
Fish Keeper

Paradise Aquarium
Middle Village, NY
IDK the address but its on Freshpond Rd.

The employees are excellent and they sell fish, tanks, and all other fish supplies as well as birds, gerbils, reptiles (which is where I got my pet snake). It is my favorite and I am always excited to go to the store.
1 Cherry Barb
2 Black Mollies
1 Balloon Red-Eyed Tetras
2 Bloodfin Tetras
3 Gold Barbs
2 Albino Corycats
3 Kulhi Loaches
2 Bushynose Plecos
1 Gibbicep Pleco
1 Raphael's Catfish
2 Swordtails
1 Neon Gourami
1 German Blue Ram
7 Juvenile Endler Guppies
2 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Green GloTetra
1 Platy
3 Otos
2 Emerald Corys
1 Yo-Yo Loach
2 Serpae Tetras
6 Flame Tetras

bullseyejoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #52
graceful.04
Aquatic Addict

Nassau County in Long Island NY, Pets Warehouse. It's a local chain (only three stores) and one of them doesn't sell fish. The one I go to in Carle Place is amazing though. When you walk in, there is an enormous koi pond and when you wander into the back, so many fish!!! Fresh and salt water. They are the healthiest fish I've ever gotten out of a pet store at a great price. Two of the employees know my name (yes, it is partially because I go there almost every day...) and they are so helpful and knowledgeable. They also have a great selection of plants and a huge amount of just about anything you need for your fish. Love it!

Also... I'm starting up a fish store of my own!!! So far there is no storefront and I'm currently working on getting a selection of fish and fish supplies so nothing for sale yet, but the site is indeepwateronline.com you should check it out!
graceful.04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #53
CJH0825

My favorite fish shop is a place in Lewiston Maine called Black Shark. Ron, The owner and only employee has been in business for 40+ years. He doesn't do much business during the summer, but during the winter he is so busy that he orders his fish in lots of 3000 a week. That's alot of fish! He has some beautiful show tanks in the store with some of the biggest fish I've ever seen. In August he is setting up a 1500g tank. I can't wait to see it.

Almost all of my fish have come from him, Very knowledgeable and understanding to his customers. He will talk you ear off. Alot of times I just go in his place to look and listen to him talk. I'm excited to see what kind of new fish he will be adding to his place this fall.
CJH0825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #54
dani2spot
Fishy Member

baltimore, md: exotic aquatics
it's an amazing store. unfortunately, it's between 1.5 and 2+ hours each way for me to get there. i haven't been in a while, but the last time i went, they had an insane selections of both fw and sw fish and inverts. all their tanks are pristine and they focus on acclimating an wild-caught specimen to aquarium life, including commercially available diets, before selling them.
i was able to muster just enough self-control, but during my last visit i was tempted to purchase a handful of fw pipefish.
such a cool place =)
dani2spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #55
lohachata
Super Moderator

my favorite fishstore is my basement..nice selection of fish and i can get them for free.. i am always adding new stuff anhd they get treated like royalty...lol

it is a shame that so many of the small shops are closing down..they just cannot compete with the big stores except for the knowledge..and as i have experienced , there are an awful lot of folks that just do not want good advice.............

if we ignore nature;maybe it will go away

10 gallon..nothing but air

10 gallon...just more air

10 gallon...stale air

just don't ask about the rest
lohachata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #56
Toshogu

Out here in Los Angeles the fish stores have been droping like flies just like the hobby store industry. it's not so much that I have a favorite anymore, but one that frequent because it's close and it's not petco/petsmart

80gal.
Overflow Box
1 Calico Ryukin
2 Black Moore
2 Sidthimunki
3 Clown Loach

40gal. Acrylic Sump
Marineland Emperor 400
Aquarium pump (canister flow booster)
Fluval 305 Canister Filter
Toshogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #57
Aqua

I like my local PetCo because of the HUGE selection, but for cleanliness and proper knowledge I much prefer Benson's! We used to have a great family-owned fish and bird shop in my town, but the owners sold it and now it's just gone down hill. The place is just gross now! Mold on the walls, dead fish in all the tanks, an ant infestation... Where are the health inspectors!?
Live planted!

20g
African Clawed frog
Two Gold Inca snails
Aqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement