white cloudy spots on glass aquarium - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 01-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #1
Jess

Default white cloudy spots on glass aquarium

Hi there again. Have another question. On the inside of my glass tank, there are small white spots on the glass. The only way I can get rid of them is by taking a clean sponge and wiping the walls. The problem is that it just comes back in a couple of days. If I leave it alone, it just makes the glass so cloudy looking and it is on all four sides of the tank. The water is not cloudy and fish are not dying. Checked Nitrite levels and they are all ok. I've had the tank up & going since mid Nov. It is a 72g tank with about 28 fish. I do change the filter every 3-4 weeks, vacuum the gravel and change 25% of the water monthly. What is it? Is there any other way to stop or get rid of this? Thanks.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Mudd

thats an algae bloom ****usually associated with a high nitrAte reading in the tank .. test with a nitrate kit if you can ****.. i actually have hte same thing right now as i got a new filter and it hasnt completely cycled yet ...
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

Default Re: white cloudy spots on glass aquarium

I've never heard of an algae bloom described like that. Are you injecting anything into the tank like DIY co2 or are you using flourish excel?

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Jess

Thanks Mudd for the reply. I'll try and go & get a nitrate kit.

And Simpte, I haven't used any kind of chemicals in the water. I'm living out of the US and have been using tap water with my tanks. I've had a 6g for over a year and also not using chemicals. I never had this problem before. Not sure if it is because of the tank size or what.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:27 AM   #5
Mudd

this is the second time i have had this and both times it happened i had high nitrAte readings .. i dont know what is the exact link between the 2 .. and according to the directions on my NitrAte test kit a high nitrAte reading will certainly be able to cause an algae problem in the tank ...
Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Jess

Another question Mudd: If the nitrates are high, what do I do? This is a new problem for me and not sure what to do.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Damon
Aquatic Naturalist

If your nitrates are high (above 30) do a water change. Thats the only way to remove them short of live plants.
But if your nitrates were high, your fish would have told you. I still don't think its nitrates or even algae. Maybe a mold or fungus.

Member of the AGA (Aquatic Gardner's Association)
Member of the IBC (International Betta Congress)
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Mudd

well i could be wrong so certainly look into what simpte says as ell .. i am certainly no expert .. but my fish have shown no signs of ill effect on them ... but no matter what i would do a %30 water change every few days until the stuff goes away ...
Old 01-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Jess

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement