Quick tetra answer needed! - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
FRIENDLYFISHIES

Default Quick tetra answer needed!

I got some tetras instead of mollies to cycle the 20gallon long tank...the store said I could return them after the cycle if they were still in good health. My Ph is 8.0 even with driftwood. The guy at the LFS (which is a reputable store) said to use acid buffer...now I know you guys told me not to use Ph down to lower Ph because you might get a speradic Ph rise? Is this the same thing? Should I bother to use it or should I just slowly acclimate the tetras to my Ph? They were in 7.0 at the LFS store.

Another thought I had, should I use the buffer now to match the 7.0 then use less and less at each water change til the Ph is nearly matched to my 8.0? This would be kind of like a lengthy steady acclimation wouldnt it?

Or should I just float the bag and add tank water for a couple hours? Im just afraid 7.0 and 8.0 are going to be too big a difference...
Anywho they are here in the bag and I just wanted some advice before I go messing with Ph.
20 gallon long planted tetra tank
2x 10 gallon planted betta tanks
FRIENDLYFISHIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
arch aquatics

i prefer to acclimate the fish to the water over mixing water for fish

i mix enough salt water and have a nervous tic from it

plus i tend to drink during water changes so i may or may not remember to add the stuff to a tank and could kill the fish in it

its safer for my fish to live in straight water

Check out our auction listings HERE
arch aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
FRIENDLYFISHIES

Thanks! These guys are bloodfins if that helps any. I was told theyd be pretty hardy for the cycle, but was also told by the guy I would need to lower the Ph, but in my own mind, I feel like having them adjust to my Ph would be more sensible because I dont want Ph going all over the place with highs and lows. If I acclimate them slowly how much tank water should I add to their bag? I have them clamped to the rim of the tank and added maybe a tsp? Should I add a tsp every hour maybe for like 4 hours? Or should I drag it out longer?

I remember back when I got the tiger barbs, I brought them home from petco, over stocked my 15 with 8 of them, barely acclimated them (10 minutes floating), never cycled the tank and not one of them ever had an issue the whole week I had them lol. I did return them because I didnt know if I would be able to get a bigger tank for them later on, but those were seriously some hardy fish!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
FRIENDLYFISHIES

lol I like these little guys, if they live I may end up keeping this a fresh water tank instead of changing it to brackish...hmmm...we will have to see :]
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
TheOldSalt
Darth Ichthyos

7 to 8 is a pretty big jump, but bloodfins are tough. I'd say let the fish get used to your water instead of try to fight water chemistry all the time.

If you should ever want to try to breed your tetras you'll have to get the ph down, but until then be happy with whatever works.
TheOldSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Obsidian
Administrator

You will want to drip acclimate if possible.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
FRIENDLYFISHIES

I added a tsp of water from the tank over the course of 2 hours...then I intro'd them. They went for a dark spot and swam still for a bit, guessing mild shock. I then let them swim around in the dark for a bit then turned the light on...they swam around so excitedly exploring...no eye darkness, no funky behavior. So far so good Lets hope it all goes well. Im already liking tetras! Funny little spunky guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement