My Fish is Dying - FishForums.com
Logo

members chatting

Welcome to the FishForums.com.

Find the answers to your fish problems or questions here on FishForums.com by using the search box below:

Go Back   FishForums.com > Freshwater > General Freshwater

General Freshwater General Freshwater fish discussions

Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Sally*Koi

Default My Fish is Dying

I have 4 guppies in a ten-gallon tank. One of them, my smallest one, is not in a good condition. It's fall, and I don't have a heater. I live in Florida, so I didn't think that would be a problem. Well, the water got 5 degrees lower, so I turned on the light and wrapped a towel around the tank. It rose 4 degrees. 79 degrees. It's usually 80 degrees. However, Swimmy (the fish I'm talking about) was not getting better. He was just floating in the same spot. Even when I put some food in, he did nothing. He used to have a potbelly, but now, he's skinny. I also noticed he had bite marks out of his tail. Maybe my other fish thought his orange tail was an orange piece of fish food? I poured some warm water in my fishbowl, treated it, and put him in there. I also took the fishbowl and placed it in my TV cabinet display case and turned the light on. I put about 4 pieces of fish food in there. He was swimming some more, but not eating anything. This morning, I checked on him again. All the food was still there, and he was swimming around some. I noticed that he was trying to swim to the bottom of the bowl, but he couldn't, because his fin wouldn't work. I think the other fish ate so much of it that it's too short to be usable. He can't use his tail. He won't eat. He's too cold. He's dying. Is there a way I could make him develop an appetite so he'll stay alive while his tail heals? Will his tail even grow back?
Sally*Koi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
FRIENDLYFISHIES

How long have you had the guppies? Did you recently introduce new guppies/plants or snails? Are you sure they are biting the guppies tail or might he have some fin rot going on? How often do you perform water changes?

Aquarium salt does well with guppies...it may be too late or it me be too much of a change for the guppy to handle right now, but id add an air stone on a low setting and tsp of disolved Aquarium salt.

Worked for me but im not sure it will have the same effect for others. Maybe someone with more guppy/fish experience can help.

Good luck, hope he comes out of it.
20 gallon long planted tetra tank
2x 10 gallon planted betta tanks
FRIENDLYFISHIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Sally*Koi

I haven't instroduced anything new to the tank lately. I've had them maybe since.... July? I'm not 100% sure that the fish are biting off of it, but they look like bite marks. I don't perform water changes that often, because I usually don't have time. I was planning on doing one this weekend, and then this happened. Will the salt help his tail?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
FRIENDLYFISHIES

in my limited experience yes, but then again it may depend on whats really going on with the guppy, whenever im a tad late with a water change my little orange splits his tail, I add AQ salt and it seems to heal up over night. It will depend on how much damage and whats going on with your little guy.
20 gallon long planted tetra tank
2x 10 gallon planted betta tanks
FRIENDLYFISHIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Sally*Koi

I try to go to the fish store today and see what I can find. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Obsidian
Administrator

A Couple of things:
1. Get a heater for your tank. At 79 they are fine, but you don't want it to swing.
2. Before you put a teaspoon of salt in your bowl, find out how big your bowl is You will want to add aquarium salt accordingly. And slowly, don't just raise the salinity all at once.
3. In addition to the salt you can add some melafix, it's great for regeneration etc. and will help fend off bacterial infection.
4. Get a small heater that you can place under your bowl to heat that to what you want IF the light isn't heating it enough. Really at 78-80 they will be good. They sell small under tank heaters. You won't want to leave the light on all day and all night- that will stress your fish.

20 Long: 1 Juli Corycat, 4 red line tetra's, 3 Von Rio tetra, 1 Flame tetra 1 Rubber lipped pleco, 1 Curviceps cichlid, 1 blue tetra.

5.5ga- 1 Beautiful Betta, 1 persnickety snail

I have green things with leafs.

Note's from Bradley: "Meow." "Yes I did say meow, and I meant it."

Note from Kiera: "Can I Play with it? Can I play with it? Can I play with it? Please? Please? Please?"

Last edited by Obsidian; 11-11-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Angelclown

Also leaving the light on all day and night will make algae grow in the bowl.
Angelclown is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement